Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers/Going Self Employed...

Options
  • 20-02-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

After 4 years going in the completely wrong direction in my career (for the weekly 9-5 wage), in the next 5-6 weeks I'm leaving my job of my own accord.

All my qualifications (and passion) are in a completely different field, a field that I have been doing a few nixers in over the last year, and the field that I will be looking to freelance in when I leave.

Long story short, while there are a few bits and pieces of work available to me, financially this won't be a seamless transition, so I know things will be tight for while til I can get up and running.

From a Job seekers benefit perspective, I'm aware that I will be penalised for voluntarily leaving my job, but does anyone have any advice on how I should approach this from a social welfare point of view? I have been through the Jobseekers system before, but should I be rocking up saying "I'm now self employed and looking for my own work, etc?" I have no intention of purposely staying unemployed for 12 months to avail of certain business start up incentives. This is a business I have been working on for the last 9-12 months, so I've been doing things on the side and I want to just get motoring now.

Any advice on an approach would be very welcome.

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement