Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Qualification Allowance Mary I

Options
  • 20-02-2018 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. I've a third class honours degree from Mary I (B.Ed).

Although it's called an honours degree it's treated as a pass degree as far as the Dept. of Education is concerned and so I haven't been getting the extra qualification allowance since I started teaching.

I started pre recession times when the I.N.T.O said at the time they were actively pursuing this issue with the department, however nothing came of it.

At the time I asked a few questions about it but was passed from one person to another without any real explanation as to why a third class honours from Mary I doesn't qualify for the 'Honours' allowance even though it's an honours degree in name.

I know there's a pass degree in St. Pats which doesn't qualify for the allowance and this is probably seen in some quarters as the equivalent of a third class honours in Mary I.

Has anybody else on here came across this issue? Be interested to hear.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In my time in Mary I (a good while ago!) , you got 1st class honours, 2nd class or pass. Have you tried contacting the DES yourself?

Yes I was aware of this when in college you get paid more with a 1:1 or 2:1 so we made sure we got the highest grade we could to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rossdarragh1

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if those who received the pass degree at that time were entitled to the extra allowance ?

Advertisement