Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-Time Software Development (Higher Certificate) - CIT

Options
  • 19-02-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I've been a web developer for 3 years.
    I was in London but have now returned home and am looking for work (no luck so far).

I started off with very little experience. Another part time course in javascript from the Fitzwilliam Institute and some generic knowledge, a few online tutorials and I went form there, starting off with very basic stuff and getting tutored a bit by the lead developer at the company I was working at.

I feel like there's huge gaps in my understanding of basic programming principles and I don't feel like I have the wherewithal or qualifications to find another job.

I'm not great at unstructured, self-motivated learning. I've seen talk of people who are self-taught and have these little side-jobs working on open source projects on github, or big portfolios, but that just isn't my cup of tea.

So, I've been looking at other courses to try and round out my knowledge and allow me to explore the job market with a bit more confidence.

Any opionions on this course from CIT?
    http://www.cit.ie/course/CRKCOME6
    Any other suggestions?

Ideally, for financial reasons (I have some savings that I'm happy to plough into my education, but there's a limit to how long I can support myself), I'd prefer a shorter course that gets me exactly what I need, but it's better than looking at a full Computer Science bsc or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Have you looked at Spingboard Courses? Level 8's and 9's available.

Courses are (relatively) short - they're a year to 2 years depending on how you take them (in class or online)

Timetable is a little onerous M,W,F 18:00 - 22:00 and all day Sat.

Did Level 8 in Comp Science and Cloud with NCI.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Diceicle wrote: »
    Have you looked at Spingboard Courses? Level 8's and 9's available.

Courses are (relatively) short - they're a year to 2 years depending on how you take them (in class or online)

Timetable is a little onerous M,W,F 18:00 - 22:00 and all day Sat.

Did Level 8 in Comp Science and Cloud with NCI.

How long was the Level 8? Do you need a level 6/7 before you apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icecream89

For the higher deploma you would need to have a level 8 degree as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

clio_16v wrote: »
    How long was the Level 8? Do you need a level 6/7 before you apply?

It was one year at the time (heavy going with a full-time job - wouldn't recommend it). In relation to the NCIRL I did, I believe they have extended the timeframe for distance learning to up to 2 years.
    I believe you need a 6/7 or have computer / software related experience.

Advertisement