Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIBI claims form

Options
  • 19-02-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi all,

Someone hit my car outside my apartment last week. Couldn't get the buggers reg on camera but they did some damage!

Garda gave me a claim form for MIBI.

Anyone had experience in using this to claim money back?
    From what the Garda was saying, it took time.
    Just wondering how people feel about it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Without the reg you get nothing, sorry.

"Vehicle/property claims are covered under the MIBI compensation scheme however the alleged offending vehicle must be identified by means of a valid registration plate. In instances where the alleged offending vehicle cannot be identified MIBI has no liability to pay compensation for vehicle/property damage unless there are significant personal injuries arising from the same accident. In certain circumstances an excess may apply to vehicle/property damage claims e.g. an excess of €220 applies to vehicle claims, where the offending vehicle was stolen at the time the incident occurred."

https://www.mibi.ie/making-a-claim/uninsured-unidentified-vehicles.421.html

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Even if the offending vehicle was identified you are obliged to claim under your comp policy for damage to your own vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

Oh so the Garda was wrong then. He said my own insurance wouldn't be touched and the whole idea of this scheme was for government to deal with these claims. That was a waste then .

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The MIBI is deemed the insurer of last resort.

If there is another policy in play they deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

If the offender's registration number had been seen would there be an MIBI liability anyway if the car park was not a public place ?

I ask on the basis that a public place is defined as a public road or any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge as per S.49 RTA 1994.

Link www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/section/49/enacted/en/html#sec49

• Advertisement
Advertisement