Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims discount in middle of policy?

Options
  • 18-02-2018 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hey,

My girlfriend just got a new insurance policy with Axa. It was two months before her 1 year no claims policy kicked in. She had been a named driver on my car but had to get her own car for work.

will the insurance company reduce her insurance now or does she have to wait until the beginning of new policy to avail of getting her discount.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hey,

My girlfriend just got a new insurance policy with Axa. It was two months before her 1 year no claims policy kicked in. She had been a named driver on my car but had to get her own car for work.

will the insurance company reduce her insurance now or does she have to wait until the beginning of new policy to avail of getting her discount.

cheers

I don't know, but I would say she may have to wait. They don't tend to do the whole reduction thing.

I changed my car mid-policy - downsized my engine considerably and all I was told by the insurance company was that "there was no increase in premium" Nothing about a decrease though :rolleyes:

This may be a different thing completely to your girlfriend's situation though
    Edited to add: My experience was not with AXA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hey,

cheers

Your post isn't very clear.

Are you saying that she was named on a policy for 10 months then took one out herself?

If so, she is not entitled to any discount.

You cannot earn named driving experience and your own bonus concurrently.

When she started her own policy she starts earning a bonus in her name so remaining named on another policy is of no benefit.

If that was the case someone could get named on 5 policies at the same time and at the end of one year be entitled to a 1 year bonus from each meaning they would have 5 years ncd for only one years driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Your gf had 0 no claims bonus earned so far. Sorry that's the system..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

will the insurance company reduce her insurance now ..

No, they won't. What you're describing is a non-event as far as insurance companies are concerned. It will count in her favour on the next renewal but not midway through this policy. You can't jump from one NCD tier to another midway through the year.

The only 'personal' event that could reduce the premium midway through the year might be if a learner driver passed the test but even then, some companies will make you wait until the next renewal to derive any benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

coylemj wrote: »
    No, they won't. What you're describing is a non-event as far as insurance companies are concerned. It will count in her favour on the next renewal but not midway through this policy. You can't jump from one NCD tier to another midway through the year.

The only 'personal' event that could reduce the premium midway through the year might be if a learner driver passed the test but even then, some companies will make you wait until the next renewal to derive any benefit.

It won't count at next renewal as you cannot derive any benefit form named driving experience while earning your own bonus.

The bonus in her own name supersedes the NDE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement