Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S&S payment

Options
  • 18-02-2018 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Just wondering do ASTI teachers still not receive any payment for S&S. was in a permanent job for over 12 years -remember the last year year in job didn't get S&S due to union dispute. Have tried in last 3 years to move closer home to the west - have been in 3 different schools between subbing and rpt contracts. In an ETB school this year but see still no S&S payment - school is mainly TUI so hard to ask collegues if they have been paid. Was not with union first few months of 2017 as had to change employer ( had worked with Dept of Ed) all along previous to ETB. Seriously thinking of leaving teaching the way things are going but just don't know what to do? Seems to me certain principals are reluctant to give CID contracts to teachers who are not related/connected closely to certain people in the BOM. I know plenty of teachers who have no undergrad qualifications in teaching of core subjects to LC level and they have CIDs, just very unfair I find.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You are paid for S&S in your core pay. Every point of the pay scale was increased to include the payment. It's lower than the original rate and for more hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Arlessienne is correct.
    It amazes me how often this question has been asked over the past year.... so many people don’t seem to know, and yet many of these people possibly voted on this in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes I asked this question before too. I voted no, but after the secret convention had their own vote last summer I was totally confused as to what we had accepted and to be honest lost interest as I felt my vote didn't even matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Yes I asked this question before too. I voted no, but after the secret convention had their own vote last summer I was totally confused as to what we had accepted and to be honest lost interest as I felt my vote didn't even matter.

Thank you Rosebush. I was the same as you and voted no but after secret convention I felt my vote didn't matter anymore. I have been in the ASTI and always knew what had voted and what I had voted for but find union is bowing to the government too easily these days. I have been in the ASTI since I left college over 15 years ago but but after lack of attendance at my local branch meeting and especially of younger members just feel it's not the same anymore - just too much political influence 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Snapgal wrote: »
    Just wondering do ASTI teachers still not receive any payment for S&S. was in a permanent job for over 12 years -remember the last year year in job didn't get S&S due to union dispute. Have tried in last 3 years to move closer home to the west - have been in 3 different schools between subbing and rpt contracts. In an ETB school this year but see still no S&S payment - school is mainly TUI so hard to ask collegues if they have been paid. Was not with union first few months of 2017 as had to change employer ( had worked with Dept of Ed) all along previous to ETB. Seriously thinking of leaving teaching the way things are going but just don't know what to do? Seems to me certain principals are reluctant to give CID contracts to teachers who are not related/connected closely to certain people in the BOM. I know plenty of teachers who have no undergrad qualifications in teaching of core subjects to LC level and they have CIDs, just very unfair I find.

S&S is part of core pay for the last two years, don't know how you don't know this. Also don't understand how you can't ask fellow colleagues about it because they are TUI?? It's a simple query.

Principals can't deny CID to teachers who have two years completed. Also think your point on BOM is bull, very few teachers would know someone on the BOM in their school.

Some teachers have been put teaching subjects they are not qualified in, because they are CID and have to be given hours, and some because there's a shortage. If you are teaching 15 years as you've said, you already know this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

S&S is part of core pay for the last two years, don't know how you don't know this. Also don't understand how you can't ask fellow colleagues about it because they are TUI?? It's a simple query.

Principals can't deny CID to teachers who have two years completed. Also think your point on BOM is bull, very few teachers would know someone on the BOM in their school.

Some teachers have been put teaching subjects they are not qualified in, because they are CID and have to be given hours, and some because there's a shortage. If you are teaching 15 years as you've said, you already know this happens.

I know this is happening in the majority of schools and what should be happening but unfortunately a lot of teachers dont realise but especially in rural GAA influenced schools where teachers are related and are closely linked through GAA to the chairperson of the BOM and other members of the board. I know of few teachers who have been appointed CID in the last 2 years based on a subject they are not qualified to teach in up to LC honours level. I just think this is totally wrong in this day and age and especially where there is no shortage of teachers in core subjects.I am teaching over 15 years but I have seen things becoming progressively worse for teachers.
    Thank you for and to other posters for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Snapgal wrote: »
    I know this is happening in the majority of schools and what should be happening but unfortunately a lot of teachers dont realise but especially in rural GAA influenced schools where teachers are related and are closely linked through GAA to the chairperson of the BOM and other members of the board. I know of few teachers who have been appointed CID in the last 2 years based on a subject they are not qualified to teach in up to LC honours level. I just think this is totally wrong in this day and age and especially where there is no shortage of teachers in core subjects.I am teaching over 15 years but I have seen things becoming progressively worse for teachers.
    Thank you for and to other posters for your replies.

I've been teaching in my school 17 years and to be honest aside from the teacher reps and two parent reps I have no idea who is on our BOM. I happen to teach children of the two parent reps, that's how I know who they are.

Teachers are entitled to a CID if they are teaching for two years in a school, that has nothing to do with the subjects they are teaching.

If it was exactly as you say it was, then every teacher in the school who had a CID would come from the town the school is located in given the localised nature of schools.

Also you have been living under a rock if you think there is no shortage of teachers for core subjects. Go and have a look at the 'Teacher shortage - how is your school coping thread?'

Honestly you just come across as bitter because you don't have a CID in any of these schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I've been teaching in my school 17 years and to be honest aside from the teacher reps and two parent reps I have no idea who is on our BOM. I happen to teach children of the two parent reps, that's how I know who they are.

Teachers are entitled to a CID if they are teaching for two years in a school, that has nothing to do with the subjects they are teaching.

If it was exactly as you say it was, then every teacher in the school who had a CID would come from the town the school is located in given the localised nature of schools.

Also you have been living under a rock if you think there is no shortage of teachers for core subjects. Go and have a look at the 'Teacher shortage - how is your school coping thread?'

Honestly you just come across as bitter because you don't have a CID in any of these schools.

I think it's a fair comment to be annoyed. If im reading the situation correctly.
    Qualified maybe.... unqualified! I would be bitter.
    At the very least extend 1 year rpt and keep advertising.
    CID can be refused under justifiable gounds.

I've heard very similar happen.

Advertisement