Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5L engine for new driver

Options
  • 16-02-2018 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi there.

I am a novice driver, planning to apply for my full driving lessons soon so I can get my full license, as opposed to provisional.

However, there’s one car I’m really interested in - The Ford Mustang 2015-2018. 5L engine, pleasure to drive (had a test drive before).

My question is - going to insurance companies as a new driver, will everyone just turn me down for being a new (Male) driver who wants to get such a powerful car so early? Or will they just charge me insane prices? I’m willing to pay the crazy insurance fee, but my bigger concern is getting turned down by everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

You will not get insurance...... I couldn't even get insured on a 5 series 2ltr..... Start small get big.... My first car was a Ford focus 1.6 ltr now on a 2ltr insignia. 5 or 7 series is next. Insurance on the insignia is 1200

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Easy know the secondary schools are off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 that_one_kid

You will not get insurance...... I couldn't even get insured on a 5 series 2ltr..... Start small get big.... My first car was a Ford focus 1.6 ltr now on a 2ltr insignia. 5 or 7 series is next. Insurance on the insignia is 1200

I know, I know...I just don’t wanna be 30+ to finally get decent pricing on the car I actually wanna drive :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. Think of a number with 5 digits.

2/. Treble it.

3/. Add your telephone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Christ almighty - ring an insurance company and get a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

What age are you? Might not be TOO bad of you're in your mid 20s or older.

I paid €1700 in 2006 with a provisional at 22 on a 1.4l petrol Almera.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

2/. Treble it.

I think you'll find that you have to multiply by, not add your phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Surely if he can afford a new mustang he can well afford any insurance quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Are you going to drive it to your debs?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

LOL, you happen to have €62000 for 5-litre V8 lying around? Not to mention the €2000 per year in tax? Not to mention insurance and petrol costs..

On topic, I highly doubt anyone will insure you but do check the List of insurers and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Hi there.

I am a novice driver, planning to apply for my full driving lessons soon so I can get my full license, as opposed to provisional.

However, there’s one car I’m really interested in - The Ford Mustang 2015-2018. 5L engine, pleasure to drive (had a test drive before).

My question is - going to insurance companies as a new driver, will everyone just turn me down for being a new (Male) driver who wants to get such a powerful car so early? Or will they just charge me insane prices? I’m willing to pay the crazy insurance fee, but my bigger concern is getting turned down by everyone.
    Erm which dealer let you take one of them on a test drive notwithstanding the lack of a full licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

15k tpo would be my guess.

that's after all the DCA lark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You had a test drive with no licence? Seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Erm which dealer let you take one of them on a test drive notwithstanding the lack of a full licence!

Could have drove it on the PS4

2/. Treble it.

Awh hell naw hahaha

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You had a test drive with no licence? Seems legit.

Uncle owns slightly older model, obviously I didn’t do an official one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Uncle owns slightly older model, obviously I didn’t do an official one yet

Ask him to add you to his policy.
    You'll be bringing a qualified driver with you everywhere for the next couple of years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I know, I know...I just don’t wanna be 30+ to finally get decent pricing on the car I actually wanna drive :/

Why not? You'll likely be driving for 50+ years after that, if they allow people drive. If you step up a few models, each new one will be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Is it just me or does this thread pop up every few months?

By the way, anyone know where I would get a cheap quote on me uncles Veyron?

Don't want to pay more than €2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

what a stupid thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Of course they will get insurance. All you need are 3 rejection letters and the 1st company you contacted has to insure you. What they charge is a different matter.

Didn't all of us have this dream before the reality set in. Who ever dreamed that their 1st car will be a 10+ year old POS? I wanted a Metro 6R4, would still love one, or a HF Integrale when I started driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Del2005 wrote: »
    Of course they will get insurance. All you need are 3 rejection letters and the 1st company you contacted has to insure you. What they charge is a different matter.

Didn't all of us have this dream before the reality set in. Who ever dreamed that their 1st car will be a 10+ year old POS? I wanted a Metro 6R4, would still love one, or a HF Integrale when I started driving.

Yeah but this one is a wind up. There's a young lad or someone pretending to be a young lad pops up in motors forum every do often looking for advice on high end cars he is just about to pull the trigger on, help me choose between 5 and 7 series for my 18th birthday etc....

In fairness he always hooks a fair few in before it's seen as a wind up and inevitably locked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Help Please!! I’m 17 in 2 weeks and can’t decide on whether to get an Impreza STI or an EVO 10

Or maybe I should just go with my original gut and go for the 355 California

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hi there.

Which garage let you test drive that?

Not for me.......but if they're letting non-licensed* drivers test drive €70k cars I know my two lads will want in :D:D:D

*Your first line suggests you are aiming straight for a full licence without having a provisional ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Help Please!! I’m 17 in 2 weeks and can’t decide on whether to get an Impreza STI or an EVO 10

Or maybe I should just go with my original gut and go for the 355 California

You mad.... They aren't powerful enough.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You mad.... They aren't powerful enough.....

Your right, I'll go for the C63 AMG

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am not amused any more

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement