Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braided line for rivers?

Options
  • 16-02-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Afternoon all
    Im just starting to get ready for opening day on the river. And have also started seeing more braided line about the place.
    Im wondering is it beneficial to be using it over mono/flouro.
    My targets are brownies and pike 80% of my outings on the Nore. And an occasional walk to a local lake for pike and perch if the river is off.
    Depending on the day i could be using worms or lures and spinners.
    Would it be worthwhile switching my line to braided for this?
    And am i going to be able to tell any bit of difference? Or is all the braid just a hyped up idea?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

You will defiantly be able to tell the difference. There is no stretch in the braid so you can feel alot more knocks.

It depends on where abouts you are going to be fishing. If it is rocky area keep in mind that the braid will get damaged more so from the rocks than the mono.

I have braid on most of my reels with mono on some spare spools.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tidyboii

Cheers for that. I like the bit about knocks being felt better! Could make the day a bit interesting. Ill mostly be fishing sanded beds and the odd small bit of gravel/small rocks so ill be keeping an eye on the damage to it.
    Id guess with less stretch in it the breaking strains might be a bit better than stated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭beer enigma

You will defiantly be able to tell the difference. There is no stretch in the braid so you can feel alot more knocks.

It depends on where abouts you are going to be fishing. If it is rocky area keep in mind that the braid will get damaged more so from the rocks than the mono.

I have braid on most of my reels with mono on some spare spools.

My strike rate shot up after I changed to braid

Advertisement