Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build 9" hollow block with external insulation

Options
  • 16-02-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,
    I'm reasonably knowledgeable on building matters but have a question. I intend to build a modest dormer, ground floor 50 sq. m on a very small budget . In terms of cost,performance and structure would a 9" block with ext. insulation,say 120 be a runner???
    Thanks in advance
    Paul303

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hollow blocks are for sheds.

*In my opinion.

Edit: To flesh it out a bit: In theory hollow blocks can do the job you describe but in practice they are hard to work with and give a poor quality wall when compared with 'block on flat" construction.

All of this is beside the point as I suspect you have not gotten planning permission yet. Do this first.

Then when you do the design to make sure your building meets the building regulations you will find that doing it with a solid, externally insulated wall is the same price if not more expensive than the various other ways of building the walls.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

paul303 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm reasonably knowledgeable on building matters but have a question. I intend to build a modest dormer, ground floor 50 sq. m on a very small budget . In terms of cost,performance and structure would a 9" block with ext. insulation,say 120 be a runner???
    Thanks in advance
    Paul303

No

Advertisement