Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomendation for vent in room with inset stove

Options
  • 16-02-2018 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi folks,

I have a standard vent cover over a wall vent in a room with an inset stove.
    Even with the vent cover closed, there is a steady draft into the room, sufficient to move curtains constantly.

What (if any) options would I have to try and minimize the draft?
    I know I can't block the vent but ideally would like to reduce the constant draft.
    I already looked at Aereco vents, but they are not suitable for rooms with stoves.

(I have a working C02 monitor in the room before anyone asks :) )

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

What is the diameter of the vent?...if it is 4",it can be reduced to 2"

The cheap option is to reduce the size of the opening by half or one third first.You can do this by taking off the cover and filling it halfway with something simple and then check if your stove is still working ok.

Another option is to move the vent to another wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

gillad wrote: »

The cheap option is to reduce the size of the opening by half or one third first.You can do this by taking off the cover and filling it halfway with something simple and then check if your stove is still working ok.

Is the size of the vent not related to the maximum output of the stove and the presence of an extractor fan etc?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Is the size of the vent not related to the maximum output of the stove and the presence of an extractor fan etc?

I dont know but usually vents are put in during construction with no thought about stoves or extractor fans..it the builders choice...this is why i recommend a bit of trial an error to see how much you can reduce the vent size,as every house is different....i have no vents in my house and a perfectly working stove but my house is not airtight

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I dont know but usually vents are put in during construction with no thought about stoves or extractor fans..it the builders choice...this is why i recommend a bit of trial an error to see how much you can reduce the vent size,as every house is different....i have no vents in my house and a perfectly working stove but my house is not airtight

The regulations (and manufacturers) insist on permanently open vents AFAIK. You are playing with a danger of producing CO otherwise. It is the responsibility of the installer to make sure the stove has proper and permanently open ventilation. The builder is only responsible for what is there at the time of the build.
    In old poorly sealed houses, you might get away with smaller vents, but getting away with it doesn't mean its safe or correct.

I don't do stoves, but hopefully someone will clarify later.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    The regulations (and manufacturers) insist on permanently open vents AFAIK. You are playing with a danger of producing CO otherwise. It is the responsibility of the installer to make sure the stove has proper and permanently open ventilation. The builder is only responsible for what is there at the time of the build.
    In old poorly sealed houses, you might get away with smaller vents, but getting away with it doesn't mean its safe or correct.

I don't do stoves, but hopefully someone will clarify later.

The op has stated that they have a working co monitor in the room and is aware of the regulations of not blocking the vent so co is not an issue here....the issue is a steady draft blowing through the vent which means too much of an opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

mairbu wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Even with the vent cover closed, there is a steady draft into the room, sufficient to move curtains constantly.

I know I can't block the vent but ideally would like to reduce the constant draft.
    I already looked at Aereco vents, but they are not suitable for rooms with stoves.

Thanks
    If the curtains move with the vent cover completely closed, surely that would be the same as if their was no vent their at all, or does closing the vent still allow some air to get through.

The op has stated that they have a working co monitor in the room and is aware of the regulations of not blocking the vent so co is not an issue here....the issue is a steady draft blowing through the vent which means too much of an opening.

Yet still people can die usually due to complacency or ignorance as I have seen, permanent ventilation is designed to be permanent when there is a appliance in the room that requires it.

cranefly wrote: »
    If the curtains move with the vent cover completely closed, surely that would be the same as if their was no vent their at all, or does closing the vent still allow some air to get through.

If curtains can cover a vent then the vent would need to be repositioned.

Hi folks,

Thanks

Replace the stove for a electric one and seal the vent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm just wondering if the problem is that there is a draft when the stove is fired up when cold or both.

If air is being pulled into the room all the time then really the only place it can be going is up the chimney. To check this I'd temporarily block the base of the chimney and see if the drafts stop.

I'd also check what happens (with no fire) if the main vent is blocked off completely because it would be interesting to check if air is coming in via the vent or if its coming via gaps in the window and going out the vent. Holding a sheet of A4 paper by one edge over the vent on the inside and as a check the outside will indicate which way the air is going.

Obviously don't leave anything blocked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

taken from the building regs TGDs

Any room or space containing an appliance (other than a roomsealed
    appliance) should have a permanent ventilation opening of
    free area of 550mm2
    per kW of rated output but in no case less than
    6,500mm² where air permeability is greater than 5.0m³/(h.m2
    ), or
    6,500mm² + 550mm² per kW of rated output above 5kW where air
    permeability is less than 5.0m³/(h.m²).

you can not reduce the size of the permanent vent for the stove nor should it have an adjustable closer on the vent you can instal a vent with a baffle to stop drafts

dathi wrote: »
    taken from the building regs TGDs

Any room or space containing an appliance (other than a roomsealed
    appliance) should have a permanent ventilation opening of
    free area of 550mm2
    per kW of rated output but in no case less than
    6,500mm² where air permeability is greater than 5.0m³/(h.m2
    ), or
    6,500mm² + 550mm² per kW of rated output above 5kW where air
    permeability is less than 5.0m³/(h.m²).

you can not reduce the size of the permanent vent for the stove nor should it have an adjustable closer on the vent you can instal a vent with a baffle to stop drafts

One size does not fit all as every house is different,, but the regs do not and can not accommodate for these differences.

Common sense and a good understanding of how things work can accommodate for the differences in houses as I have already stated that I have no vents in my house and I am Alive and healthy today:)

If you haven't got a good understanding then you will have to obey the rules, sit in the cold draft and waste energy on extra heat.
    If you have a good understanding then things and regs can be tweaked but you will be breaking the law:eek:

One size does not fit all as every house is different,, but the regs do not and can not accommodate for these differences.

Common sense and a good understanding of how things work can accommodate for the differences in houses as I have already stated that I have no vents in my house and I am Alive and healthy today:)

If you haven't got a good understanding then you will have to obey the rules, sit in the cold draft and waste energy on extra heat.
    If you have a good understanding then things and regs can be tweaked but you will be breaking the law:eek:

Most of my experience working in the gas industry is as a first responder to emergency’s and I’ve seen a lot. People with my type of experience would have a opposite opinion to you as the lack of correct permanent ventilation has allowed people to die in situations where ventilation would have given them a fighting chance and a massive game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do you get a massive draft in all wind conditions (as in does your outside vent catch the prevailing wind..?). And do you still have a draught with the fire off, stove dampers closed and the room door closed?, (do you hear air whistling up the stove too.)
    I'm just wondering is air being blown in to the room or sucked into the room... You might need a chimney cowl of some kind to limit up draught.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mairbu

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

- It's a 4 inch vent
    - It's just below ceiling level, not blocked by curtains but moving the full length curtains below it
    - No other external wall to move the vent to
    - The vent predates the stove, there's no extractor fan in the room.
    - When the stove is not lit and the dampers are closed, nothing can be heard whistling up.
    - Draft persists when stove dampers are all shut, and the doors to the room are closed.
    - The vent does unfortunately catch the wind - it sounds like a baffle might help reduce this.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

- It's a 4 inch vent
    - It's just below ceiling level, not blocked by curtains but moving the full length curtains below it
    - No other external wall to move the vent to
    - The vent predates the stove, there's no extractor fan in the room.
    - When the stove is not lit and the dampers are closed, nothing can be heard whistling up.
    - Draft persists when stove dampers are all shut, and the doors to the room are closed.
    - The vent does unfortunately catch the wind - it sounds like a baffle might help reduce this.

Thanks again!

This is the vent in my front room and I also have a stove. SEAI audit done as had EWI done. It has an adjustment to reduce but not close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

MAJJ wrote: »
    This is the vent in my front room and I also have a stove. SEAI audit done as had EWI done. It has an adjustment to reduce but not close it.

taken from the building regulations part J Heat producing appliances TGDs

21. Air vent: non-adjustable purpose
    provided arrangement designed to allow
    permanent ventilation;

so the vent shown doesn't comply with building regs requirement for permanent ventilation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

dathi wrote: »
    taken from the building regulations part J Heat producing appliances TGDs

21. Air vent: non-adjustable purpose
    provided arrangement designed to allow
    permanent ventilation;

so the vent shown doesn't comply with building regs requirement for permanent ventilation

It's adjustable but doesn't close. Not disputing your viewpoint/stated rules either.

Advertisement