Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coombe again or Mullingar

Options
  • 16-02-2018 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

We’ve moved house since my first and we’re almost equal distance between the Coombe and Mullingar 30 vs 34 minutes. But in traffic the Coombe could/will be waaaaay more than that.

I’m trying to weigh up the pros and cons

Pro Mullingar: I had a labour of 1hr 6 on my first. I’ll make it to Mullingar regardless of traffic. I know someone there last year who cannot speak highly enough of it. Wards seems to be 4 beds according to online

Negative: is not a maternity hospital. I’m not sure if they do the big scan at 20-24 weeks. I don’t know the routine of the place

Pro Coombe: I had lots of extra growth scans, diabetes checks, NSTs and BP tests for high blood pressure the last time. The Coombe is designated maternity so has the full time staff. I’ve been there before so I know the lay of the land.

Negatives: it’s insanely busy. All the time. The wards are manic. Post natal care was terrible the last time I was there

Not sure which way to go

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Honestly?given that you have worries.....the Coombe
    A second pregnancy is harder on your body, and you also have the other child to deal with too.
    We are equidistant between the Lourdes in Drogheda and the Rotunda in Dublin.I would not chose the Lourdes when the Rotunda is my other option.I'd look at it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭LittleBoBeep

Hi mirror. Congratulations on your good news I was in the Dec 17 thread with you. I was in mullingar last month where I gave birth. I cannot recommend it enough. They don’t do the anaomoly scan at 20 weeks unless you are high risk. I got one done privately for peace of mind. They scan at every appointment but the scans are quick. Waiting time was grand generally my appointments were a Friday at 9am and I’d be out by 11 which isn’t too bad. They do the gestational diabetes test for everyone. I was under Dr Ravikumar but was public and only seen her once. Her staff were excellent though.

Wards do have 4 beds and the staff are generally brilliant. I met 2 nurses while I was there who I didn’t find helpful but that was it.

I can’t speak for the Coombe sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We're definitely going with the coombe. If its a mad scramble in rush hour and we know we won't make it then we can consider landing into Mullingar instead during labour but the plan is for the Coombe

Advertisement