Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never had hospital scan..

Options
  • 16-02-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Morning all..
    So I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant with an ivf pregnancy.
    I have registered with uhg but I haven't set foot in the hospital..never been sent out an appointment.
    Never had scan with them...Nothing! !!
    I rang them and they said they won't see me till after 20 weeks! !!
    I have paid for private scans just to be reassured all is OK cause I'm not feeling any movement. .
    Scanner in scanme.ie told me I have an anterior placenta.
    Will I ring uhg again and tell them or just wait till my 20 week app.

All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I would absolutely insist that you get a scan - that's ridiculous. It's a nervy time anyway and the reassurance of appointments etc is vital - they need to be monitoring your blood pressure, risk of gestational diabetes etc.... can't believe you would have to wait until halfway through your pregnancy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd ring them again.
    What have you got to lose by ringing?Theyay still tell you to wait but at least you'll have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I don’t have any experience of UHG but wanted to reassure you that no movement at 17 weeks is perfectly normal especially with an anterior placenta. The placenta gets in the way so you don’t feel the smaller movements. My placenta was anterior and I didn’t feel movement until I was 22/23 weeks. There is no need to worry about an anterior placenta either as long as it’s not too close to the cervix.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Farmerstatia

I rang them last week and they said oh your referral from the dr must of got last cause they only received it the day before I rang them!! ANd I had registered and did the paperwork in my Dr three weeks before that!!
    They said cause I'm past the 12 weeks they only other scan they will give me is at 20 weeks and the consultant might or might not gI've me an app before that that they don't know!!
    I explained it is an ivf pregnancy and that I had a hole in my heart when I was born and when I was pregnant with my now 12 year old son that I had very regular check ups and scan on my heart to be sure all ok but they wouldn't listen to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

I rang them last week and they said oh your referral from the dr must of got last cause they only received it the day before I rang them!! ANd I had registered and did the paperwork in my Dr three weeks before that!!
    They said cause I'm past the 12 weeks they only other scan they will give me is at 20 weeks and the consultant might or might not gI've me an app before that that they don't know!!
    I explained it is an ivf pregnancy and that I had a hole in my heart when I was born and when I was pregnant with my now 12 year old son that I had very regular check ups and scan on my heart to be sure all ok but they wouldn't listen to it

Wow Farmerstatia I'm shocked. And I'm sure this is just adding to your nerves.
    I remember you from the TTC thread so delighted to her your good news.

Do you know anyone else who attended this hospital? Would be interesting to see when they were seen. Regardless of anything you need to register your pregnancy and have urine and blood pressure checked.

If it was me I would definitely ring again. Who knows - you may get someone different and more helpful. Also I would get back in touch with your GP. They may have some way to get you seen quicker.
    Failing that - if you were very worried you could just show up and say you are having pains. I know this is probably a bit much but if it puts your mind at ease.

• Advertisement

So I rang Galway again and explained everything and I got were sorry but your consultant is not in till Monday and there is nothing we can do till then!!!!

So I rang Galway again and explained everything and I got were sorry but your consultant is not in till Monday and there is nothing we can do till then!!!!

I would get my GP to fax something in and ring them first thing Monday morning.
    Maybe that is just normal for them and I am sure it is nothing to worry about but it just seems a long time to wait for an appointment.
    Are you going private or public?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was thinking about this afterwards and I actually think much as you don't want to, it wouldn't be the worse to wait til your appointment.
    You have checked with scans.But outside of that-your GP at this stage can check urine and BP just as easy as the hospital can.If your first hospital appointment had been at 12 weeks, you wouldn't be seeing your doctor til about 28 weeks anyway because a sonographer does the 20 week scan(well....in my hospital anyway).There doesn't appear to be any immediate cause for alarm for you healthwise, and there is very little the hospital can do pre-24 weeks otherwise, unless you have an identified condition.
    Thinking logically, waiting another couple of weeks seems fine.That said, I do agree that they should not have let it slip for this long and I think that is so wrong, but under the circumstances another couple of weeks are probably not going to make much difference.

shesty wrote: »
    I was thinking about this afterwards and I actually think much as you don't want to, it wouldn't be the worse to wait til your appointment.
    You have checked with scans.But outside of that-your GP at this stage can check urine and BP just as easy as the hospital can.If your first hospital appointment had been at 12 weeks, you wouldn't be seeing your doctor til about 28 weeks anyway because a sonographer does the 20 week scan(well....in my hospital anyway).There doesn't appear to be any immediate cause for alarm for you healthwise, and there is very little the hospital can do pre-24 weeks otherwise, unless you have an identified condition.
    Thinking logically, waiting another couple of weeks seems fine.That said, I do agree that they should not have let it slip for this long and I think that is so wrong, but under the circumstances another couple of weeks are probably not going to make much difference.

This is very true. I was seen at 5 weeks and 10 weeks and then told I don't need to go back until 23 weeks. But my fear would be I'd slip through the system. Defo no harm to wait but if there's no sign of an appointment coming I'd still call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I'd keep ringing till you're seen. My first pregnancy in 2016 I signed my forms in the doctors at about 6/7 weeks and they were never sent to kerry general, nor were my bloods. I rang the maternity unit myself at 17+3 and they had no knowledge of me or my pregnancy and had me in first thing the next morning for a scan and bloods.

Edit: I just reread and realised you've gone for a private scan already sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

In Holles St, you just get one scan at 22 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I’m public in Galway and was given an appointment for dating scan at 11 weeks and booked at dating scan for anomaly scan at 21 weeks. I didn’t request either of these, that was just the normal process.

It’s very strange that you’re not getting a dating scan. Who is your consultant? I’m in Dr. Sarma’s clinic but I was booked in for the scan before ever attending her clinic, I got a letter in the post for my first antenatal appointment and it said in the letter to ring the scanning room to arrange scan. So I booked the scan the same day as the antenatal appointment. The paper work in the green chart refers to you having a dating scan tho so I’m surprised you haven’t been told to book one.

My appointments so far have been booking appointment and dating scan at 11 +2, back in hospital again for next appointment at 15+2, then anomaly scan at 21+1, repeat anomaly scan at 24+2, GTT at 24+1, gp at 24 weeks for 3rd antenatal appointment, back to the hospital at 28 weeks for next antenatal appointment with the consultant’s clinic.

Edit to say that dating scans are not accurate after a certain number of weeks so maybe you had missed that cut off so they don’t bother doing one. Still find it strange that you’re not being brought in for any antenatal appointments regardless of scanning or not.

Just on the movement, I also have an anterior placenta and didn’t feel much or anything until around 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

At this stage I don't see the point on getting a hospital scan if you are getting one at 20weeks. Especially as you have had private scans.

To be honest sometimes you just have to follow up and follow up with the hospitals as documents do get lost. I was given my 12week appointment in a matter of days, had I not I would have rang the hospital to confirm.

However while I wouldn't be worried about a scan, at my 12 weeks they did a number of blood tests that were repeated at 28weeks. I'd insist on the bloods as they are important

Really movement I'm 28 weeks and only really started to feel movement at 23-24 weeks. I know lots feel movement earlier but plenty don't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

In Holles St, you just get one scan at 22 weeks.

I was scanned at every visit. So were others I know. Mini scans and then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

lazygal wrote: »
    I was scanned at every visit. So were others I know. Mini scans and then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

I think it depends on the clinic you’re in. I didn’t have one until 20 weeks last time (but I was low risk and a public patient), but in the third trimester they did a quick 60 second scan to check position of the head and fluid at my appointments. This time, I’m doing the Domino scheme so no scans there either. I won’t be in the hospital at all except for the 22 week scan (if all goes to plan!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I think it depends on the clinic you’re in. I didn’t have one until 20 weeks last time (but I was low risk and a public patient), but in the third trimester they did a quick 60 second scan to check position of the head and fluid at my appointments. This time, I’m doing the Domino scheme so no scans there either. I won’t be in the hospital at all except for the 22 week scan.

I’ve had two babies in HS, low risk and public, different consultant clinics each time and I’ve had scans at every appointment including the 12 week, have pics from both babies.
    Friends of mine have had the same experience so I assume it must be hit and miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was private but anyone I know who went public or semi p was scanned too. I attended the public clinic for some issues too and was scanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I attended a midwives clinic linked to Holles St in my last pregnancy and only had the 20 week scan. This time they gave me a really quick scan at the 12 week appointment but that was just cos they couldn’t get the heartbeat on the Doppler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congrats to you and bummer that they aren't being very helpful in UHG..

Just had a baby there and have to say I would not be too impressed with them there.. If you don't have that long more to wait until the 20 week scan then id say (that's if your other scans were ok) go with them, but after that I would be pretty insistant on things.. They seem to be very blasé about a lot of stuff there.. I wasn't high risk or anything but to be honest, I think it was a case of ticking the boxes and just getting through stuff there...Once that was done they were happy, this thing about being understaffed is bs sorry you either doing your job or you a not.. There are a few lovely ladies in there in fairness but a lot of people who just don't make your day... Be very insitant with them and I'm sure you will be heard, don't be put off and don't feel bad for doing it

Thanks everyone for all your posts..
    I'm going to be under Dr sarma in uhg but havery to wait to get app I rang them Friday and explained yet again about the hole in my heart and all but they said cause I will get a anamoaly scan the 12 Mar I won't need to see consultant! !! I'm just going to go with it and see what happens ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I’m not all that familiar with the HSE’s maternity services, but I have had issues with other Irish public health system areas and the one thing I would say is keep talking to your GP.

The hospitals can be completely uncoordinated. It’s almost like you’re dealing with a load of self-employed individuals who all just work in some kind of collaborative work space. They have no idea what anyone else is doing, but they all report back to your GP.

So, if you want to get someone to chase this up with the ability to contact the right people ASAP the GP is your coordinator and will usually be able to lift the phone / send a letter and things start to happen.

In my experience of it, when you’re in the hospital systems you effectively have to manage your own case otherwise as they will have nobody there to really coordinate your care.

Dealing with relatives who’ve had experience of Irish hospital both private and public, the whole system is basically one of : you’re on your own. There’s never a single point of contact. There’s rearely anyone you can ring or ask questions to. It’s like you’re just being bounced from one healthcare professional to the next or trying to glean information from nurses and doctors with the very rare chance to speak to a consultant.

So, all I could say is if you’re having issues with lack of a scan, put pressure on through your GP.

Who are you talking to OP?Midwives or secretaries?Are you going privately or public?
    It may be that you have to make the link between the two.So say for example, I had a bleed at 13 weeks,I went in to the Rotunda A&E, told to wait it out, went back in two days later (all of which was fine).But the reason I went back in is because I knew my scan at 20 weeks was sonographer only, so I wouldn't be seeing the doctor til about 28 weeks.And I knew the A&E is public and I am a semi-private patient, so there was no way for the Semi-p clinic to know I had had any problems until 28 weeks, really.I actually went back to the A& E the second time to ask them firstly how long do I 'wait out' bleeding at 13 weeks, and secondly, what did I need to do to follow up-did I ring the semi-p, or what.I felt I was wasting their time in the A&E but I didn't know where else to go.
    As it turned out the A&E doctor told me to ring the semi-p clinic and make an apptmt for that week, and then the semi-p clinic made an another apptmt for me to come over to them after the 20 week scan so they could read it on the spot and make sure it looked ok, and then decide the best course of action from there.

If you are a private patient, can you ring your consultant and just make an appointment??Public I'm not sure-if you are grtting nowhere wih simply telling them you want an appointment along with your 20 week scan, maybe go back to your GP and get them to refer you for a consultation with the doctor in the coming weeks, as you did not have one previously, stating your concerns.Drop it into the hospital yourself if you have to.Unfortunately there's not really any other way, it is not a very joined-up system, and you have to shout to get heard.And keep shouting.

I might add to the post above that you are trying to glean information from all the various healthcare professionals, that they are not sharing with you OR with each other.It's a complete pain in the ass, nearly worse in maternity.Cross communication between midwives, doctors and consultants is not good.They are all very good at their jobs, they are just crap at sharing and coordinating information between a team at large over a period of time; there are a lot of 'silos' of info in there.

shesty wrote: »
    Who are you talking to OP?Midwives or secretaries?Are you going privately or public?
    It may be that you have to make the link between the two.So say for example, I had a bleed at 13 weeks,I went in to the Rotunda A&E, told to wait it out, went back in two days later (all of which was fine).But the reason I went back in is because I knew my scan at 20 weeks was sonographer only, so I wouldn't be seeing the doctor til about 28 weeks.And I knew the A&E is public and I am a semi-private patient, so there was no way for the Semi-p clinic to know I had had any problems until 28 weeks, really.I actually went back to the A& E the second time to ask them firstly how long do I 'wait out' bleeding at 13 weeks, and secondly, what did I need to do to follow up-did I ring the semi-p, or what.I felt I was wasting their time in the A&E but I didn't know where else to go.
    As it turned out the A&E doctor told me to ring the semi-p clinic and make an apptmt for that week, and then the semi-p clinic made an another apptmt for me to come over to them after the 20 week scan so they could read it on the spot and make sure it looked ok, and then decide the best course of action from there.

If you are a private patient, can you ring your consultant and just make an appointment??Public I'm not sure-if you are grtting nowhere wih simply telling them you want an appointment along with your 20 week scan, maybe go back to your GP and get them to refer you for a consultation with the doctor in the coming weeks, as you did not have one previously, stating your concerns.Drop it into the hospital yourself if you have to.Unfortunately there's not really any other way, it is not a very joined-up system, and you have to shout to get heard.And keep shouting.

I rang my GP on Friday and they said just to wait it out as well ...I rang uhg and got through to Dr sarma reception clinic and they said cause I am now booked in to get anomaly scan in three weeks time that I don't need an app to see consultant so I've tried both ways and I'm blue in the face talking to people and getting no where at all..I'm a public patient

I guess there's nothing else that can be done so unfortunately.

I guess there's nothing else that can be done so unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

That is just so horrible that you have to go through this... Totally agree with Skedaddle, it seems like everyone works on their own.. No one talks to eachother. Easier said than done but try and not stress too much, and try and look forward now to the 21 week scan it is so great..And maybe after this have a good chat with your GP and say what is going on, and see maybe if they can offer a bit more help, If not maybe you could try a different GP..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I went through UCHG as well. My GP referral also got lost. I had no appointment at 15 weeks still, even though saw GP at 7 weeks. I called them and was told wasn't on the system. So had to ring GP to get them to send my referral again. It also meant I got no scan prior to the 20 week scan. I had regular scans after though due to some fibroids.
    I paid to have own scan at 11 weeks at Galway Clinic.
    Didn't read whole thread, so dunno if you got see yet, but there should be some kind of booking appointment for you, even if you don't have a scan you should be seen by someone at the hospital. Let them know at the appointment about your concerns with your heart, hopefully in person they'll listen.

Advertisement