Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Social Welfare take from your bank account??

Options
  • 15-02-2018 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

So I got a letter saying I owe for a few days overpayment of JSA when I for a job months ago, they now gave a 14 day notice saying they can take from my wages or go to a financial institution and take from there, is this correct? Like from the debts I owed before this never happened, any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

liam650 wrote: »
    So I got a letter saying I owe for a few days overpayment of JSA when I for a job months ago, they now gave a 14 day notice saying they can take from my wages or go to a financial institution and take from there, is this correct? Like from the debts I owed before this never happened, any info would be appreciated

Yes of course. You owe the money to the taxpayer so they can just take it off you if you don’t want to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If your still getting benefits, they will take it out of your future payments. You can arrange how much with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Dont see how they could take from your bank account its a private institution after all with business dealings directly with you. I'd be very surprised if they can dip in and out of people personal private bank accounts.
    However I could imagine they could make a deduction form your wages of some scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Doop wrote: »
    Dont see how they could take from your bank account its a private institution after all with business dealings directly with you. I'd be very surprised if they can dip in and out of people personal private bank accounts.
    However I could imagine they could make a deduction form your wages of some scenario.

As surprising as you find it, they do it all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement