Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodations while hiking

Options
  • 14-02-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I posted a thread about two weeks ago in relation to hiking the Grand Canal. I appreciate all the replies I got. My problem now is finding accommodations along the way. I have been using AirBnB and Booking.com, but I am stuck with no place to stay in the Allenwood area. Is there a website that might list B & Bs that are not listed on AirBnB? There are three of us.
    Thanks again in advance for any help that is provided.
    Charlie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

An old tip was to ring the local post office and ask them if they know anywhere.

Edit: can't find a post office there...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There may be no accommodation in Allenwood itself. Best thing to do is to contact some accommodation owners nearby; Clane, Kilcock or Naas. Explain the issue and if you're prebooking with them, I'm sure you'll find one who will pick you up and deliver you back next morning. This is common enough solution on the more rural walking routes in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spif1

Want to say "Thank You" for the replies. 
    Wondering if we would find more accommodations if we changed our route to the Royal Canal instead of the Grand Canal route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Spif1 wrote: »
    Want to say "Thank You" for the replies. 
    Wondering if we would find more accommodations if we changed our route to the Royal Canal instead of the Grand Canal route?

You'll encounter this type of 'problem' on most of the long distance walks. They traverse rural areas, where there is insufficient demand to warrant B&B etc. So people who run B&B in the general area know this and will often pick up walkers, IF they are booked in and have arranged in advance etc. Some also transfer bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Have you checked Robertstown, Coll Dubh, Kilmeague, Prosperous, Lullymore? on the bord fáilte site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Bring a tent and pitch up by the canal?

There is a reason there is little accommodation. It's because no one really goes to the midlands on holidays.

There are long-distance routes in the SW in areas that are very scenic and have an infrastructure geared up for tourism. You could go from hotel to guesthouse on routes like the Kerry Way, the Beara Way, the Dingle Peninsula etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I think accommodation would be much easier on the royal, in particular as far as mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Royal canal has better paths than the Grand Canal

If you want to start in Longford you can get accomadation night 1 in Ballymahon, night 2 Mullingar, night 3 Enfield and from there once you get to Maynooth there are many options

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spif1

I want to thank everyone who added comments to my original post. I have completed mapping out a route across Ireland starting in Dublin. I also have made the arraingments for rooms along the way. No easy task!
    I will try to take notes of our trek and if anyone is interested, I will forward them once we complete our trip.
    Again, thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement