Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiff front fork

Options
  • 14-02-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭

Every morning I notice that the front fork on my carbon road bike is stiff when I try to move it from side to side. Could this be that the headset needs replacing and would anyone know how much roughly it would cost to fix in the lbs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You might get away with a good cleaning and regreasing of the headset bearings.
    As to cost of replacing, it depends on make.
    I recently replaced headsets on two of my bikes. Bearings for one bike(Planet X) cost €5.99, bearings for other bike(Canyon) cost €50.
    That was cost of parts. I did the jobs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

At least take the headset apart, clean the bearings and the top and bottom of the steerer tube. Re-grease everything and re-assemble. If it’s still stiff/grinding then you need a new headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As per the other posts, cleaning and regreasing is the first step. But be especially careful if you have a carbon steerer tube on your fork, you need to be cautious when (re-)tightening the clamp that holds the stem to that tube - tighten the bolts too much and you may damage that steerer tube and write-off your fork.

A torque wrench can help here, but you don't actually need one. If in doubt though, pay someone else to do it.

Advertisement