Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for DART committing app

Options
  • 14-02-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm an iOS app developer and some time ago I released iPhone app for DART commuters (won't post the app name or link here as I don't think moderators will be ok with it).
    The app currently has train reminders and widget with departure info for favourite station.

I just wondering what other features regular DART commuters would like to see in the app? What functionality is missing in your current real timetable app for committing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You are relying on a poor data feed from Irish Rail so you cannot make any serious progress.

Now if you can make sense of the crap data and provide meaningful information then you have a product, otherwise you will be the same as the current IE app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What station is the train is currently at or nearest to so a passenger would get a good idea of how far away a train is.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

You are relying on a poor data feed from Irish Rail so you cannot make any serious progress.

Now if you can make sense of the crap data and provide meaningful information then you have a product, otherwise you will be the same as the current IE app

Well, there is only one data source and we depend on it. It is accurate in most cases, so I’d disagree here about data quality. Yes, sometimes it is complete off (on the IrishRail strike their realtime API was returning train times even it was no trains at all).

Anyway, with same data sets apps can have different features which can add some value. For example easy to use UI, widgets, additional info or alerts (like in my case), watch app etc..

I’m asking about that. What people want as an extra. Taking into account that I can’t provide any more accurate info than IrishRail API.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What station is the train is currently at or nearest to so a passenger would get a good idea of how far away a train is.

Thanks. Already have that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is there a whatsapp bot?

• Advertisement

No, there is no WhatsUp app. It is a iOS (iPhone) app and WhatsApp bots are completely separate topic. Honestly I think it is way easier to check widget or the app itself than ask bot for train schedule.
    Do you know if there is any similar bots I can checkout? May be I'm wrong :)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A 'report problem' app where you can report equipment not working, litter, graffiti, etc.

Victor wrote: »
    A 'report problem' app where you can report equipment not working, litter, graffiti, etc.

That's an interesting feature but I'm not sure what to do with this info - how to report it back to Irish Rail.

By the way. Once again, during extreme conditions Irish Rail can't run trains this afternoon but their realtime API says that trains are running. As result all realtime apps, including their apps, show misleading information.

I made a small tweak on my backend, so it shows "No Trains" for today. But they really need to do something with their real time API.. Can't imagine how many people will be mislead by their fault data...

Update: IrishRail fixed it in their apps (just saying no realtime data is available). All 3rd party apps (and their users) still suffer from misleading data from Irish Rail Realtime API.

• Advertisement
Advertisement