Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSYCHOLOGY IN IRELAND?

Options
  • 14-02-2018 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey,
    I'm a 6th yr student and I'm thinking of doing Psychology in Ireland, but like I don't know whether there are alot of jobs available in Ireland. And i heard that unless you have a PHD in Psychology you won't find a Job. Is this true? And what can I expect from the profession?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Most clinical psychologists working for the HSE would have a PhD. However you could study psychology for your undergrad bachelors degree and then train to be a counsellor - the salary would be less but it might suit you if you didn’t want to be a fully qualified clinical psychologist. There are lots of other roles for people who have studied psychology with police services/youth services etc. My advice would be to contact a psychologist at your local hospital and ask them if you can meet for a chat (I’m in a different profession in mental health and often talk to students wanting advice on my profession ). In the meantime this link may help a little;

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/waiting-lists-mental-health-ireland-2047605-Apr2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Zubby101

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated

Advertisement