Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity benefit help

Options
  • 14-02-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all.

Expecting our first kid at the start of April.
    Just wondering how the two weeks Paternity Benefit for fathers works.

I want to take off as soon as the baby arrives so do I put down the due date as the intended week to start and am I right to assume that it will be flexible if the baby arrives later.

My employer seems to be flexible with the dates but I'm just anxious about the state side of things.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The rules say you can apply for dates and then “postpone” the start of the leave but it doesn’t say how this would work money wise, so you should give them a ring. Number: 1890690690
    It’s funny because the pregnant woman can’t postpone her maternity leave any later then 2 weeks before due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 40BalesOfHay

Thanks.

I found this, under paternity benefit faqs on the welfare site

"33. My baby did not arrive on the expected due date, how does this affect my Paternity Benefit?
    Under legislation Paternity Leave must begin on or after the actual date of birth, or, in the case of adoption, the date of placement and within 26 weeks of that date. If your baby does not arrive on the expected due date please contact your employer in order to select another date on which Paternity Leave can commence. Should you wish to defer your Paternity Benefit payment please contact the Paternity Benefit section on 1890 66 22 44."

So if I need to delay my leave by a week for instance, I tell my employer and then ring the paternity benefit section? I think I'm reading that correctly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭raxy

Thanks.

I found this, under paternity benefit faqs on the welfare site

"33. My baby did not arrive on the expected due date, how does this affect my Paternity Benefit?
    Under legislation Paternity Leave must begin on or after the actual date of birth, or, in the case of adoption, the date of placement and within 26 weeks of that date. If your baby does not arrive on the expected due date please contact your employer in order to select another date on which Paternity Leave can commence. Should you wish to defer your Paternity Benefit payment please contact the Paternity Benefit section on 1890 66 22 44."

So if I need to delay my leave by a week for instance, I tell my employer and then ring the paternity benefit section? I think I'm reading that correctly. :)

I don't think you need to ring them. The date you give is the date you get the payment. The time off does not necessarily have to coincide. You just need to keep your employer informed as you will be taking different days then originally planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

raxy wrote: »
    I don't think you need to ring them. The date you give is the date you get the payment. The time off does not necessarily have to coincide. You just need to keep your employer informed as you will be taking different days then originally planned.

That seems sensible.

Advertisement