Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait time for mole biopsy

Options
  • 14-02-2018 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I'm getting referred to St James for a biopsy on a mole. I was wondering how long I can expect to wait. Any experiences? I have vhi if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

It depends what clinic you were referred to. If it’s for review of a suspicious mole, it might be 2-6 weeks. They would tend to book them in for removal in the 2-6 weeks after that, but not all moles need to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Not the answer that you want but it depends on a few things.
    Usually you wait for an appointment for a dermatologist to assess the mole. If they decide it's better taken out then you'll wait for that appointment too.
    All waits are triaged by clinical signs and symptoms, you'll wait longer to.get a mole off as a cautionary measure than if it's obvious melanoma.
    How long the wait will be is impossible to say for certain, it depends on who/what else is referred into.the same clinic. I waited 6months to get a few looked at, some need to go and have been waiting 8months now without sign.of an appointment for the procedure!

Advertisement