Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters or Postgrad in educational Leadership???

Options
  • 14-02-2018 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am a secondary teacher and I will be doing a course next year in educational Leadership with the aim of one day moving into school management.

My question is whether I should do the postgrad course available in Maynooth or go straight for a masters. Both are level 9 qualifications so my understanding is that they are both worth the same when it comes to getting points towards getting an interview.

My wonder is whether a masters has any advantages at the interview stage or then does it just comes down to other criteria.

From my research, after doing the post grad, it's only 20 credits off when carrying on to do a full masters so I don't know if I would do this route.

It seems like one or the other for me at the minute. I know the masters is better but is it 5000 and an extra year better.

Interested in all opinions and particularly people already in management roles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I hope you change your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭paulisagayboy

I hope you change your username.

That's my actual name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you have a feeling that the school want you in that career path then they mightn't be too picky about a postgrad vs' masters. You could just be blatant about it and ask your principal/deputy what they would advise!! at least it'll show them you're keen to help out.
    If cost is an issue there's a blended one through UL for 2k. It's run the same as the Postgrad in maths teaching dip. They say that there is a route to masters in their FAQ but I don't know how definite that is as it's a new course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Having a leadership postgraduate is a box tick. It doesn't make a poor leader much better but it does assist in helping someone with good leadership skills.
    I'd put more weight into getting experience in leadership roles, responsibility, other agencies etc.
    But that username?? If a teacher applying for any job had an email address like that, it would look very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

My wonder is whether a masters has any advantages at the interview stage or then does it just comes down to other criteria.
    I hope you brush up on your English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

The user name jumped out at me Too! I know this is an anonymous forum but to have the attitude / thinking that a user name like that is ok seems unprofessional to me. Smacks of either bigotry, cluelessness, immaturity or a mix of all 3 but either way they're not qualities you'd want to see in management
    ETA to answer op question it sounds as if the masters would be better if you can afford both the cost and time commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭paulisagayboy

peckerhead wrote: »
    I hope you brush up on your English.

Thanks for the helpful advice ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

Hi Paulisagayboy - on the query, you could look at it two ways.
    First as another user said, it's a box ticking exercise in a way, so the postgrad qualification will look great on your cv for future interviews and might be more than enough.
    On the other hand, assuming youre a youngish teacher, a few years out of college holding a HDip, you will be working in staff rooms filled more and more with masters holding teachers, so in the long term having a masters for a management position might become more important.
    On your username ... Who gives a hoot!!

ok point duly made about the username and grammar. Back on topic!
    Mod

If you are up against a similar person in interview that masters could be the clincher. It’s not the be all and end all but it will stand to you, especially when it is a career in leadership that is your aim.

• Advertisement

If you are up against a similar person in interview that masters could be the clincher. It’s not the be all and end all but it will stand to you, especially when it is a career in leadership that is your aim.

If it's within the op's school then they'll hire who they want and not split hairs over dip/masters, i guess the results can always be skewed to avoid letting qualifications be the discriminator.
    If it's for another school job (deputy principal!) then I'd say roles and experience will count for more i.e. jcsp/lca/j coordinator, exams officer, TY coordinator etc.
    Unless you do a really impressive action project for your masters thesis !
    Who knows though, you could get an interview panel who puts high value on qualifications and another who doesn't care for them.

I concur, there's people filling up their CVs but it's pointless unless you are a leader. There's plenty going for these jobs now that they don't have to go for someone who is on paper, great, but rather someone with talented leadership skills. The vibrancy of a school comes from its leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

There are more than ten times as many teachers pursuing masters' in leadership/management etc than in curriculum. Surely a teacher who hones and develops his/her talents and skills in the classroom is a worthier candidate, than one who is doing a course to get out of the classroom?
    Having a masters in leadership/management is a very limited indicator of potential to lead, merely indicating some knowledge of how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭chases0102

What advice would one give in increasing their leadership capacity within a school - directly approach the principal and ask how can they have a greater impact on learning/school life?

Or is there anything relevant that jumps out at people that aspiring leaders should be grasping in 2018 - in my experience, lots of the JCSP/Exam Officer/Literacy/Numeracy Development have teachers in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭feedthegoat

An area of leadership that is needed in many schools is using ICT in the classroom to improve teaching and learning. Try and update your skills in this area and lead a team to trial its use. See what is being done in other progressive schools. Try to incorporate this into a school evaluation project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Have you asked any new principals/deputies about the workload? 60hr weeks and continuous on call 24/7 365 have become the norm for modern senior management. If you plan on spending time with your family, forget about it.

I disagree. It is a heavy workload but I don't find myself tied to the desk or school when it's closed. The daytime is very busy but you have to manage the work load.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

TheDriver wrote: »
    I disagree. It is a heavy workload but I don't find myself tied to the desk or school when it's closed. The daytime is very busy but you have to manage the work load.
    So you leave school last day may come back last week august? You turn your work phone off as you leave the school gates and don't turn it back on til you arrive next morn? alarm goes off sat morn 2am, you aren't informed? I'm impressed, well TIL.

I never said that, I merely saying it's not 60 hour weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

To come back to the original question of which is better.

There has been mention of demonstrating leadership skills which is very important for the competency based interview, however the masters may be necessary to make the shortlist for senior management positions.

Internal AP posts it would, I think, be common practice that all staff applicants would be interviewed, therefore the day to day experience and demonstrated skills would be more beneficial.

However either way, a course, which allows you to reflect on practice is never a bad thing.

On a side note, do people think we are heading for the day when a post grad leadership qualification will be almost essential for an AP post?

• Advertisement
Advertisement