Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Increasing extension height and roof restructuring

Options
  • 13-02-2018 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

To Be exempt for planning you’ll need to pull the 1st floor 2m from Neighbour a on each side. This will reduce the width of your extension to 2/3m?

Existing foundations are probably not designed for 2 storey

By gaining a rear 1st floor extension, you’ll be increase circulation space (corridors) and consequently loose existing habitable space, not to mention blocking existing windows (each habitable room needs a window you can escape from)

You need to engage an arch/arch tech to carefully consider the best possible solutions for you and you house.

From the info provided, I’d Expect major ground floor alterations and clever design required to do construct anything meaningful at 1st floor level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ForzaHorizon4

BryanF wrote: »
    To Be exempt for planning you’ll need to pull the 1st floor 2m from Neighbour a on each side. This will reduce the width of your extension to 2/3m?

Existing foundations are probably not designed for 2 storey

By gaining a rear 1st floor extension, you’ll be increase circulation space (corridors) and consequently loose existing habitable space, not to mention blocking existing windows (each habitable room needs a window you can escape from)

You need to engage an arch/arch tech to carefully consider the best possible solutions for you and you house.

From the info provided, I’d Expect major ground floor alterations and clever design required to do construct anything meaningful at 1st floor level.
    We were told when we got the extension done the foundation was capable of holding 2 storeys and it was signed off on. I don't mind about the planning permission to go full width on the extension. Would €100,000 be way too high for an estimate? My guess is the roof would be the main cost of this if the the extension will be full width.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

We were told when we got the extension done the foundation was capable of holding 2 storeys and it was signed off on. I don't mind about the planning permission to go full width on the extension. Would €100,000 be way too high for an estimate? My guess is the roof would be the main cost of this if the the extension will be full width.

The roof will be a minor cost in the scheme of the works.

Advertisement