Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a social worker or a counselor

Options
  • 13-02-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I’m looking to make a career change I’ve been working in retail for the last 10 years but I am not happy with it.I have always felt a need to help people & I think becoming a social worker then maybe a counselor would be a great choice.I have been out of school for about 13 years now so I know going to college isn’t going to be easy.I also wanted to know because I am a mature student am I entitled to any help from the government paying my fees? Any help on all of this would be much appreciated thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hi Mike

Not sure if you have a degree already but generally you need a degree that includes social policy as a subject. So you can do a degree in social science (3 years) because that has social policy as a module. Then you do a masters of social work which is 2 years full time.

Or

you can go to Trinity in Dublin or UCC in Cork and do the Social Worker course which is 4 years long and after it you are a qualified social worker. I am currently doing applied social studies as a plc and have applied to study social science with a view to doing a masters in social work.

As a mature student you can apply for the susi grant and they will asses you and your income etc. Can also help towards your college fees.

You are only 13 years out of school and honestly it is not as difficult as it may seem. I was 20 years out of school when I started last September and found it way easier than I thought it would be. Doing a plc (QQI level 5) is really helpful. It eases you back into study and education without throwing you in at the deep end. I have found it hugely beneficial and very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Meanman

Mikewilliams10

As someone who has travelled the journey my recommendation to you is to do some of the "introduction to Counselling" with some of the private Institutess. They will then accept you onto thier 4 year programmes (I don't want to name any institute in particular). In advance of that you could do volunteering with organisations like Samaritans as "listening skills " experience is key.

It is worth noting that it is an expensive journey you are setting out on. So be sure you check out many of the "hidden" costs associated with any of them.

Good Luck with it.

Advertisement