Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Wednesday

Options
  • 13-02-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was gonna start this thread in AH but thought would be better here.

How is it like back in Ireland on Ash Wednesday ?
    When I was a kid (80s + 90s) we would all get the ash put on at school and you would see a good few adults walking about with the black mark on their foreheads.

How about in 2018 ?
    Will you see much ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Coincides with Valentine's day. A choice between chocolate and wine on the one hand and a black fast and ashes on the other. #choices #ashtag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

:D forgot it was Valentines day!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, still see plenty of people with them.

Kids will have no choice at school, and many adults still go in for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pity Hookie isn't still on at lunchtime. He'd spend all today ranting about people getting or not getting ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Coincides with Valentine's day. A choice between chocolate and wine on the one hand and a black fast and ashes on the other. #choices #ashtag
    Strictly speaking, no conflict. It's a day of fast (so only one meal and two collations) and abstinence (so no red meat or fowl), but there is no ban on either choccies or wine, as long as they are part of your meal or your collation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

more a fan of Shrove Tuesday

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How is it like back in Ireland on Ash Wednesday ?
    Sunny with occasional showers.
    Will you see much ?
    Haven't seen a blotched sinner today yet, but that's probably 'coz today is Pancake Tuesday not Ash Wednesday.

Which reminds me of Sky News' Kate Burley on Joe Biden from a few years back - 0:20 onwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Well some people find it wrecks their head. Literally.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yip, still see plenty of people with them.

Kids will have no choice at school, and many adults still go in for that.

Depends on age and school I suppose, in secondary I flat out refused to get the ashes. They didn't like it but I wasn't forced.
    I was one of maybe two or max of three in the school that did this.

Used to get the odd comment in work canteen when I'd get my usual fry about how I shouldn't be eating bacon etc, I used to reply with I expected them not to eat during daylight hours during ramadan :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Start of the six-week fast on things you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Definitely not as many of them around on my travels today.

Its on its way out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Until a few years back you'd see a fair few smudgees around Dublin 2 during the day, a few years back it dwindled to less than a handful, I saw one last year, this year not a single one.

Wonder if that church that did drive-thru smudging last year did it again?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Was in the city center for a few hours last night. Total was three smudgikins, each one looking lonelier and more annoyed than the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

robindch wrote: »
    Was in the city center for a few hours last night. Total was three smudgikins, each one looking lonelier and more annoyed than the last.

I hear tramp stamps are on the way out too...
    Are you saying that the smudge is looking annoyed or the wearer of the smudge looks annoying to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Saw only 2 or 3 on Wednesday. First one I nearly told that they had some dirt or mascara on their forehead before I realised what is was ::pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

254348.jpg

Advertisement