Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption: tracing birth mother

Options
  • 12-02-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I need some initial advice.

A friend, adopted as a baby in early 60’s, has asked me to find some information as to how to go about tracing her birth parent(s)/or siblings.

I see that Tusla appear to be the Government agency handling this type of thing can anyone point me in the direction of useful information or websites where we can read up a little more on what this entails

Needless to say I don’t want to give personal information bu t they were born in the Republic and adopted from Dublin and now living in the North. They do not have a birth mothers name

I’m only making a few initial ‘how to...’ inquiries about the topic. I appreciate it may be very stressful. Is it a costly operation?

If you feel you can best help by PM then please feel free to do so

Kevin

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi Kevin,

The first thing to do if you or your friend haven't already is read the relevant trace guide. You might also find it useful to read some of the other similar threads in the forum to get a feel for how these things tend to pan out.

Many adoption agencies have transferred their files to TUSLA. If your friend was adopted through one of these agencies then she should write to TUSLA requesting her non-identifying information.

If she doesn't know the agency that handled her adoption she can write to the Adoption Authority of Ireland who should be able to provide that information. Your friend should also request her non-identifying information from the Adoption Authority. [In my case AAI and TUSLA provided me with slightly different information so it's worth applying to both.]

If your friend knows her date of birth and her original forename she may be able to locate the original record of their birth. This will require a visit to the research room of the General Register Office in Werburgh Street, Dublin. You don't need to make an appointment and you pay €2 for each search [blocks of five years at a time] and €4 for photocopies of images from the birth registers. There can be a long wait before a social worker is assigned to your case so if your friend is considering doing her own trace, locating the original record of her birth will be a vital first step.

Your friend may also wish to join the National Adoption Contact Preference Register.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement