Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRV's - does it matter what side of rad they are fitted to?

Options
  • 12-02-2018 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all - we have 6 Radiators upstairs in our house , 2 radiators out of the six have the TRV on the left hand side of the radiator. is there any right or wrong side to have TRV's fitted to on modern heating systems these days?

House was built in 2008 so I hardly think they have the heating set up in series (or whatever the technical term is) it must have parallel heating pipe system.

This is what I presume to be parallel and series piping:

27750526_10214368052609010_2888115012659599499_n.jpg?oh=7090d22d7f44bc82346c16ead632b3da&oe=5B10B175

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure if left or right makes any diference.
    whether its on the flow or return would

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

not sure if left or right makes any diference.
    whether its on the flow or return would

is there a frequency of practice (official or unofficial) where a plumber/heating engineer puts the flow always on the right say or do they just do it at whats convenient/easiest at the time?

I suppose I would find out (apart from ripping up the floorboards and tracing the pipes back to the boiler) by feeling the pipes leading to the lockshield or TRV and the one that gets hot first that would be the flow wouldnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

yes it would.
    I don't know if there are rules on it but usually the flow is on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

oh good jesus hes working his way towards the immersion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

jimf wrote: »
    Ah now,this doesnt help:D

• Advertisement

yes it would.
    I don't know if there are rules on it but usually the flow is on the left

ah right - all the TRV's upstairs are on the right except for 2 :rolleyes: - still, they seem to work ok (apart from one small rad in the bathroom which is stone cold all the time - but thats another story)

im used to this stage jim pulling my plonker :D - aint that right Jim? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Id say yourself and jimf would good craic having a few pints.Although Jimf not allowed out much lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Nearly all trvs can work on either pipe. So left or right makes no difference really. The small rad not working could be the valve stuck closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

ah right - all the TRV's upstairs are on the right except for 2 - still, they seem to work ok (apart from one small rad in the bathroom which is stone cold all the time - but thats another story)

Try turning off all the other rads see if one in bathroom warms up

• Advertisement

im used to this stage jim pulling my plonker :D - aint that right Jim? :)

send the rads down to limerick andy we will sort them for you :)

Nearly all trvs can work on either pipe. So left or right makes no difference really. The small rad not working could be the valve stuck closed.

took the head off already on it and the valve pushes up and down with my thumb (what do they have in them a rubber washer is it inside these TRV's '?- if thats the case I suppose even though the valve moves freely up and down the washer could have swollen I suppose?)

agusta wrote: »
    Id say yourself and jimf would good craic having a few pints.Although Jimf not allowed out much lately!

in the words of that very learned gentleman father jack Hackett

feck off :P:P

send the rads down to limerick andy we will sort them for you :)

will i leave the water in for ye?

will i leave the water in for ye?

of course andy bit of a shortage here at the moment

of course andy bit of a shortage here at the moment

good, might need heating up in em when you get them because they be cold by the time they get to you ... im sending them by an post snail mail ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ah right - all the TRV's upstairs are on the right except for 2 :rolleyes: - still, they seem to work ok (apart from one small rad in the bathroom which is stone cold all the time - but thats another story)

I have this "setup" too ... the TRV was on the return side on two of the bedroom rads. They work find, balancing was alittle tricky but ok in the end.

in fact I found the towel rack radiator in the bathroom was throwing off the balancing quite alot and taking up all the flow. Once I restricted that right down , the other radiators heated right up.

jon1981 wrote: »
    I have this "setup" too ... the TRV was on the return side on two of the bedroom rads. They work find, balancing was alittle tricky but ok in the end.

in fact I found the towel rack radiator in the bathroom was throwing off the balancing quite alot and taking up all the flow. Once I restricted that right down , the other radiators heated right up.

I have a small rad on the landing, that seems to get extremely hot, tomorrow I will try turning down the lockshield valve and see what that does .. see if it gets that cold rad in the bathroom warm

Advertisement