Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training on new child protection procedures

Options
  • 12-02-2018 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

What are other schools doing for training on the new child protection procedures? I see lots of primary schools around me have started taking their half day closures for it but no announcements from any of the post primaries.

The whole roll out seems to be a complete farce. Schools have to have a new safeguarding statement and risk assessment document done by 11th March yet training for principals and deputies doesn't begin until mid March. The only training material currently available is the general Tusla video which is useless really. The two PDST videos aimed at teachers aren't available yet - they'll be ready "on or before 26th Feb" apparently. It's all a very tight timeframe for schools trying to make the required deadline and plan closures with the training materials not even available yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What are other schools doing for training on the new child protection procedures? I see lots of primary schools around me have started taking their half day closures for it but no announcements from any of the post primaries.

The whole roll out seems to be a complete farce. Schools have to have a new safeguarding statement and risk assessment document done by 11th March yet training for principals and deputies doesn't begin until mid March. The only training material currently available is the general Tusla video which is useless really. The two PDST videos aimed at teachers aren't available yet - they'll be ready "on or before 26th Feb" apparently. It's all a very tight timeframe for schools trying to make the required deadline and plan closures with the training materials not even available yet.

We just got word ours is partially the Tuesday after the break and partially in a staff meeting the following week. We’ve had closures this year so trying to minimise disruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There's 4 hours worth of videos to watch. Will you be given CP time to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

1hr in our own time, three supervised. Two coming from school closure, one from staff meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

We're not in until 11 next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Did the Tulsa one. It's definitely longer than an hour. We were given an hr and half. No word on anything else yet other than we may have to give up a scheduled half day to do training (half day was in lieu of 40 min planning class off timetable this year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

No mention of it in our place. I see DES are saying to take 2 x half days for it. I can see us doing them in CP hours rather than close though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Did the Tulsa one. It's definitely longer than an hour. We were given an hr and half. No word on anything else yet other than we may have to give up a scheduled half day to do training (half day was in lieu of 40 min planning class off timetable this year)

Post Primary. We are taking 2 hours school time to do it the week after next, we were allowed complete it in our own time and provide evidence of the Cert. I did the Tusla one and it took me about 40 mins including the exam, it said 90mins at the start but you def don’t need that long.
    My friend flicked through a few slides then took the exam, took her 15 mins she said, the exam is very, very simple.

Advertisement