Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment to me or repair only?

Options
  • 12-02-2018 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Third party has agreed to repair my car paying the garage direct to fix my car. Can I request payment to me instead or do insurance companies even do this?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Has he nominated the garage? Be careful about this as corners will inevitably be cut if he has picked the repair place. His priority (lowest possible cost) and yours (competent repair with kosher parts) are in complete conflict with one another.

Get estimates yourself from a couple of places.

I hope you got his insurance details as a fallback because this type of situation often ends up with a dispute over the cost of repair and if you don't have his details then he has you over a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

coylemj wrote: »
    Has he nominated the garage? Be careful about this as corners will inevitably be cut if he has picked the repair place. His priority (lowest possible cost) and yours (competent repair with kosher parts) are in complete conflict with one another.

Get estimates yourself from a couple of places.

I hope you got his insurance details as a fallback because this type of situation often ends up with a dispute over the cost of repair and if you don't have his details then he has you over a barrel.

Sorry just to clarify it's the third parties insurance covering the cost but just wondering do I have to let them repair or can I ask for payment direct to me and then deal with it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

You can request payment direct but it will be minus the vat.

Advertisement