Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetable Gardening

Options
  • 12-02-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have a bit of ground that I want to se for a vegetable garden (potatoes, carrots, peas lettuce etc), the ground has been idle since last summer, it was rotavated last summer, I picked stones and sprayed it twice since but I have some queries:

1) Is it too early to start digging it now?
    2) Should I rotavate it again?
    3) I picked the stones that were larger than my hand but understand that stones are also important for drainage so what size stones should I remove?

I would also appreciate any other advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,082 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on the land, but most ground is too wet at the moment, you will do it more harm than good.

Stones - I would tend to leave anything smaller than an egg, but carrots will do better if it is not too stony (they get misformed).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GM77

Thanks a million for the response. Should I hit it with a rotavator once it has dried out or just go dig the drills? Someone also mentioned to me that I should dig it "Sharp" sand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

GM77 wrote: »
    I have a bit of ground that I want to se for a vegetable garden (potatoes, carrots, peas lettuce etc), the ground has been idle since last summer, it was rotavated last summer, I picked stones and sprayed it twice since but I have some queries:

1) Is it too early to start digging it now?
    2) Should I rotavate it again?
    3) I picked the stones that were larger than my hand but understand that stones are also important for drainage so what size stones should I remove?

I would also appreciate any other advice

potatoes, carrots, peas lettuce
    these are all very different but basically remove as many stones as you can
    carrots for example, will grown around stones and make odd shapes!

so without knowing how large the plot is, i would say you need to divide it up according to what you are planting

spuds need the most space, I presume you are earthing up, so you need long rows with soil either side

https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/7-ways-grow-potatoes/slide/1

carrots are simple, but if you are growing the traditional long ones, you will need to make sure you de-stone well
    watch out for carrot fly and slugs

lettuce, dont take up much room, just watch out for slugs

peas..i assume you mean the normal climbing type, so they dont have big roots but do need something for them to grow up like bamboo canes and you have to tie them in
    try runners and broad beans as well

most veg like a bit of sun and your enemys are slugs, birds and pests
    apart from that,m just give things a go and learn as you go, its a great and tasty hobby

tomatoes are pretty easy as well, also raspberry canes, strawberrys, spring onions, radishes and beetroot

best of luck

Thanks a million Sgt Pepper 64 - any advice on if I should rotavate it again before sewing and making drills?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

My guess is that there will be some weed growth and rotovating it in a few weeks when the soil is (hopefull!) drier would help.

If you are growing peas or beans on canes, plant them to the north of the plot (sorry if that seems obvious)- you should probably rotate the crops in subsequent years, but at least don't shade everything for the first year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Thanks a million Sgt Pepper 64 - any advice on if I should rotavate it again before sewing and making drills?

Ground is wet now. As soon as it dries sufficiently I'd give it a rough dig.
    It'll help condition the soil as ground conditions improve.
    Leave it in this state until you deem it good enough to rotavate. And only rotavate just before you are ready to sow.
    Tilled ground doesn't handle rain that well.

Thanks a million everyone - I really appreciate the info. I did my soil test this morning and I have a PH level of 6.5 and I'm low in Phosphate, Nitrate and Potassium. What would you advise to increase these three elements and should I spread something now to let it wash into the soil or wait until I'm sowing?

Thanks a million everyone - I really appreciate the info. I did my soil test this morning and I have a PH level of 6.5 and I'm low in Phosphate, Nitrate and Potassium. What would you advise to increase these three elements and should I spread something now to let it wash into the soil or wait until I'm sowing?

6.5 is fine for veg

heres some info about the Nitrate etc

You have nothing that wants feeding yet, so I would hold off until they are established
    If things get eaten or dont appear, you can get quite cheap young veg from homebase, woodies etc
    You can also get very cheap "kits" with seeds in paper or in their own starter pots..Have a browse around a garden centre, aldis, lidl or woodies, its a good time of year to do so

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/soil_feedingplants1.shtml

Maybe this is a completely ridiculous query but do I not feed the ground now so it has all the nutrients required to feed the seeds\seedlings when they are planted?

Maybe this is a completely ridiculous query but do I not feed the ground now so it has all the nutrients required to feed the seeds\seedlings when they are planted?

no question is silly, ask away, we all started somewhere

You should be ok, especially if you see weeds in the same area.
    Digging in some manure wouldnt hurt, but its really when they start taking off they want feeding.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/beginners-guide/vegetable-basics/soil-preparation

this link has a veg planner you can print out

You could start planning out what is going to go where, perhaps putting down some paving slabs so you can weed and hoe without getting muddy

Spuds can be bought about now and you can start chitting

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/gardening/the-arcane-art-of-chitting-spuds-220609.html

• Advertisement

Thanks a million - really appreciate the advice. Never heard of chitting! What type of potatoes do you recommend I should buy to do this with?

Advertisement