Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching mobile networks

Options
  • 11-02-2018 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi

Am looking to switch my mobile network provider on the 1st of March.

Currently on sim only 12 month contract looking to go to 30 day contract with another provider

My question is what is the best way to go about switching without having to pay for another month. I have been told by my current provider that if i switch the day the contract ends it will up to 2-3days to switch or up to 8 days to go payg.

In other words, i don't wanna be paying for another month's bill where i having been using their network for a few days while the switch over process is occuring.

Any ideas how to avoid this???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Hi

Am looking to switch my mobile network provider on the 1st of March.

Currently on sim only 12 month contract looking to go to 30 day contract with another provider

My question is what is the best way to go about switching without having to pay for another month. I have been told by my current provider that if i switch the day the contract ends it will up to 2-3days to switch or up to 8 days to go payg.

In other words, i don't wanna be paying for another month's bill where i having been using their network for a few days while the switch over process is occuring.

Any ideas how to avoid this???

Thanks

I’m going doing the same
    Changing from Eir to a sim only 30 day contract

Wondering what date is the best to change as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Open to correction on this but I think this is how it works...

Port out to your new provider in the last couple days of your contract. You will then just be paying your current provider up to the last day of your contract and you should only be without service for an hour or two. Tell your current provider that you are planning to do this. Don't know why they are saying it'll take 2-3 days to port, unless they block the port themselves, but they have no valid reason to. The new provider initiates the port process at your request.

Double check with each network to be sure. Porting should only take hours, not days.

In theory you could port out half way through a contract but you'd be billed for the cost of the remainder of the contract. Sounds like they're trying to discourage switching.

If you were switching from SIM only to PAYG on the same network then the most you'd need to do is pay the final bill and change SIM card (keeping same number).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

Cheers.! Makes sense

This is what they said when i asked if i switched to payg as soon as contract ends.

Open to correction but to me it sounds like they would charge me the monthly rate because they are processing the request for 8-10days

Can't see it taking 8-10 days, what are they using, pen and paper!

In this thread (from 2015) a Vodafone rep says 10 minutes downtime.

Maybe ask Vodafone reps on boards for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Porting takes 30 mins typically and four hours on a really slow day.

• Advertisement

A search of "vodafone bill to payg" gives a little more clarity on this.

The 8-10 days is their way of covering themselves (and charging for an extra month if you leave it too late). The switch to payg takes an hour at most but they need 10 days notice.

The way to do it is tell Vodafone now that you want to move to payg on the last day of your contract. I think the number to call is 1907 to do this, don't forget to record the call.

That's my understanding of it

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

Thanks ten pin

Advertisement