Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non disclosure of facts motor policy

Options
  • 10-02-2018 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    My current ins co rang me on Friday to advise they are going to cancel my policy due to non disclosure of facts however as I am still within the cooling off period they will allow me to cancel ?? However I have made a claim (not claiming for my car very minor damage to mine only the repairs to other car) when I mentioned to them what will now happen to the claim he wasn’t aware I even had one? He said he would have to go back to the relevant section and it take a couple of days before he would be back to me however I could drive my car as I would be covered?? I advised him that my car was in for repairs and I was now a named driver on my Father’s car policy also with them.
    My non disclosure of facts was a cancelled policy due to missed payments my own fault didn’t notice 2 missed direct debits as I changed banks and had been ill for 3 weeks with puemonia when I rang the company asking to be reinstated and offered to pay arrears and clear balance with my debit card was told sorry no can do go elsewhere we will forward you out your no claims bonus statement (full license 30 years insurance for 20yrs no penalty points, accidents)
    Didn’t disclose cancelled policy until I sent in my no claims bonus statement
    All I am concerned about at this stage is the claim? Will it be settled ? I was told when I made the claim this company offer you the option to repay the settlement before next renewal date your bonus will not be affected. I would certainly consider paying this.
    Any advice please i’m walking the floor boards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Was the claim for damage to your own car only?

If so they will not pay it.

Tbh they are being fairly sound by allowing you to cancel the policy yourself within the cooling off period.

They could simply force cancel it which would mean you would have two forced cancellations to your name which would likely mean you will have to go down the declined cases route.

Most likely outcome is that you will have to pay the cost of the repairs yourself and try to find an insurer that will quote you in spite of the cancellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just re-read your post.

As you crashed into a third party the insurer will legally have to pay the claim which means they are unlikely to allow you to cancel within the cooling off period.

They will also be entitled to keep any premium you have paid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bagpuss1

Many thanks for your reply.
    The best I can hope for is that they agree to settle the other car repairs and I repay the insurance company the monies for this all whilst in the cooling off period and I can still cancel myself as they proposed.
    I will hopefully know more on Monday and will post the update.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why did you not disclose the previous cancellation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bagpuss1

I did when I sent in my copy license and no claims bonus statement. They now advise I should of declared this when I applied online.
    100% stupidity on my part I understood the question asked as any previous policy cancelled due to convictions etc not missed payments !
    Only myself to blame here

• Advertisement
Advertisement