Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging Vodafone HG659 to Netgear Orbi

Options
  • 10-02-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please give me a step by step guide to doing this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice piece of kit (though thanks to Orbi, Eero etc 5Ghz in apartments is going to be a total failure).

Vodafone yes? (If it were Eir you'd likely call it and F2000)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

ED E wrote: »
    Nice piece of kit (though thanks to Orbi, Eero etc 5Ghz in apartments is going to be a total failure).

Yeah, I’m with Vodafone. So how do I bridge it do you know? Can you give me a step by step guide please?

Found this on the Vodafone New Zealand website, would it work here? Has anyone bridged the HG659?

Here's how to set up bridge mode on the Vodafone wireless modem. This method will give you full bridge mode as well as a reserved IP to access from another LAN port. This will work for VDSL, Fibre and FibreX, not ADSL or standard broadband.

Please note that this is for advanced users, if you're not sure whether to use this mode - don't!

Disconnect the Internet connection (VDSL or Ethernet to ONT / cable modem)
    Connect your PC via cable directly to the HG659
    Log on to the Web Management Page as Admin (not the default vodafone/vodafone)
    Go to Internet > Internet Settings: Delete all of the profiles except the connection you want (eg VDSL)
    Go to Internet > Internet Settings: Edit that profile, change connection type to Bridged, change Service type to Internet only (untick TR069 & Voice). It will show disconnected, that's OK
    Go to Internet > Network security > Firewall: disable the firewall
    Go to Home Network > WLAN settings > WLAN Encryption: Untick the 2.4 & 5GHz WLAN SSID on the WLAN encryption section. Doing it here rather than under the Basic Settings means that the physical button on the unit won't re enable Wi-Fi
    Go to Home Network > LAN Interface: Turn off UPNP, IPv6 DHCP Server and DHCP Server (IPv4)
    You should still be connected. If not, you'll need to set your PC to a static IP in the 192.168.1.0/24 range, eg 192.168.1.123
    Go to Home Network > LAN Interface > LAN Interface Settings: Set a LAN IP, say to 192.168.200.200 that won't conflict with anything
    Now if you ever want to reconnect to the router, you'll need to set a static IP on your computer to something like 192.168.200.100/24, and connect physically into the router, and browse to 192.168.200.200.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sorry for the slow reply.

Thats not bridging, thats a cludge. Unless Vodafone crippled the 659 you should be able to directly bridge the WAN interface you want to use and itll just frame forward properly.

It should be as simple as this:
    https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/setup-bridge-mode-huawei-hg659-hg659b/

You may need to use the Vodafone IE superuser details (they're on here somewhere) instead of the basic admin account to do it.

Sorry for the slow reply.

Thats not bridging, thats a cludge. Unless Vodafone crippled the 659 you should be able to directly bridge the WAN interface you want to use and itll just frame forward properly.

It should be as simple as this:
    https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/setup-bridge-mode-huawei-hg659-hg659b/

You may need to use the Vodafone IE superuser details (they're on here somewhere) instead of the basic admin account to do it.

I tried that and it didn’t work.

Can you give me a step by step (idiot proof!) guide to bridging this and any settings that would need to be amended in the Orbi?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I think it’s working now. Orbi is connecting via PPoE and the internet light is off on the Heuwei 659 but the WAN light is on. Just wondering how do I connect to the Vodafone router now as when I try to connect via. 192.168.1.1 it is not recognised?

Jist another thing to remember- set the VLAN ID to 10 on the HG659 to ensure the connection works.

Just noticed I can’t log back into the Vodafone router now after bridging it. I’ve connected the LAN cable to one of the ports on the VF router but it’s not recognising my laptop.

Just noticed I can’t log back into the Vodafone router now after bridging it. I’ve connected the LAN cable to one of the ports on the VF router but it’s not recognising my laptop.

Solved it - had to give my laptop a manual IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

Can Anybody help me with this? Have a HG659, and a TPlink archer router which I am trying to setup a VPN on the Tp link. Can't get web access when connect to the network of the TP link router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Robbie. dub

Hi all

I'm trying to co connect a Cisco router to Vodafone fiber. Its a pppoe connection, not getting any help from Vodafone. The have given me some setting but they look like the old ADSL type over RT11.

I'm on the new fiber line...

Anyone done this?

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi all

I'm trying to co connect a Cisco router to Vodafone fiber. Its a pppoe connection, not getting any help from Vodafone. The have given me some setting but they look like the old ADSL type over RT11.

Anyone done this?

Cheers...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104733752

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hi all

Anyone done this?

Cheers...

VDSL or SIRO FTTH ?

VDSL:
    - configure internet port for Vlan 10
    - Username: [vodafone modem serial number]@vfiefttc.ie
    - Password: broadband

SIRO:
    - configure internet port for Vlan 10
    - Username: [vodafone modem serial number]
    - Password: [password from the ONT]

With SIRO it seems, that it actually doesn't matter what credentials you have in there as they auth on the CSID of the ONT.

/M

Advertisement