Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A gravy that could be used to flavour vegetables ?

Options
  • 10-02-2018 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Either from a tin or one that's quick to make ?. I'm reluctant to 'ape' meat with the likes of 'bisto' . Thoughts appreciated and oh I'd be thinking of Parsnips, Broccoli, garlic, mushrooms, kale, potato etc :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Either from a tin or one that's quick to make ?. I'm reluctant to 'ape' meat with the likes of 'bisto' . Thoughts appreciated and oh I'd be thinking of Parsnips, Broccoli, garlic, mushrooms, kale, potato etc :)

What does 'ape' meat mean?

This gravy is good http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/easy-vegetarian-gravy-226004

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could make a soup type gravy with spuds to thicken it? Maybe it's not viable but have often poured soup on to the dinner at home but I'm more of a shoveller than a taster when it comes to food

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tomato and coconut sauce is good with green vegetables like broccoli or green beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Tomato and coconut sauce is good with green vegetables like broccoli or green beans

Can this be bought ? thanks :)

Can this be bought ? thanks :)

Unfortunately not, to my knowledge.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Slice a peeled onion and add to a saucepan with 1 tablespoon heated olive olive and cook for five minutes until starting to brown (at just over medium heat). Add about 6 sliced mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes until everything is browning nicely. Add a tablespoon of flour and stir until everything is coated and cook for a minute. Turn down the heat and add a cupful of vegetable stock a little at a time (so that the flour doesn't go lumpy - only Frank Zappa liked Lumpy Gravy), keep going until all the stock is in, then add a tablespoon of soya sauce or tamari. I also add a teaspoon of white miso, but it's not needed. Enjoy... either strained or with the onions and mushrooms still in.

Dried porcini mushrooms might be good here, as might mushroom ketchup. And I would advise paying a little extra for tamari over soy sauce, it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Car99 wrote: »

This is the one I use. I use one onion and 3 cloves of garlic. I freeze part of it and when I defrost for next time i add some more soy as it seems to lose a bit of flavour when frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bugsy2012

Supervalu have a vegan gravy. Marigold Organic Gravy mix, says organic vegetarian gravy powder, but its vegan. Same company that makes the nutritional yeast. Think you can get it in Tesco's aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi Spirogyra.

I love Knorr Classic Gravy. It's vegan.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Over the years I’ve done all sorts of experiments with gravy and the key is always a thickener, cornflour, wholemeal flour, possibly nutritional yeast, maybe psyllium with caution, blending in beans or potatoes. A pouring but thick sauce is what to aim for.

Then the flavouring is up to you - leeks rather than onions? a dollop of peanut butter? a dash of red wine? Seaweed? Mustard? A teaspoon of chutney? Try heating dried herbs in the oil, right at the beginning and see which one(s) work for you.

Also, using what liquid you have - the water other things are cooked in - can help.

The other side of experimentation is to not beat yourself up if it doesn’t work perfectly: you’re not putting anything inedible in it. As you can tell, I love trying out new combinations. :o plus it can be quick to make if you’re waiting for other things to cook - timing everything to be ready at precisely the same moment is very satisfying.

Advertisement