Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano cassette with a quick link chain...replacement advice.

Options
  • 10-02-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon!
    I hope you are well.

I am trying to do more work on my bike myself.
    My next job is replacing my cassette and chain...
    My bike has full Ultegra.

I am considering a 105 11/32 cassette with a chain with a quick link attachment...
    My questions are...
    1) would a SRAM 11 speed chain with a quick link work well with the 105 cassette.
    2) alternatively would a 105/ Ultegra 11 speed chain work better.
    3) should I just learn to attach a new chain with a chain tool.

I appreciate your feedback,

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yes it'll work fine.
    Potentially, but only marginally.
    No, use a quick link. Sram links will work fine connecting a Shimano chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

I use a scram 11 speed with Ultegra, never had an issue. Works perfect and love them because they are cheaper and use a quick link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

thank you for your feedback... is there a specific chain you would recommend?

do i need any tool to attach this chain?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sram-pc1130-11-speed-chain/rp-prod123726

This should do the job.
    You will need a chain breaker, to get the chain to the correct length.

Thanks mate.. I wouldn’t mind spending a few yo-yos more to get a chain with the quick link connection....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've just noticed that the chain, I linked(see, what I did there) to, is out of stock.
    However, all Sram 11 speed chains include the quick link connector.

No probs.. thanks for the info!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Arequipa wrote: »
    Thanks mate.. I wouldn’t mind spending a few yo-yos more to get a chain with the quick link connection....
    you should be able to pick up quick links for a couple of euro easily enough if they're not included with the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Arequipa wrote: »

You will still need to break the chain with a chain tool as Eamonnator has said.
    Chains usually come in one size and you will need to measure and take off a few links to get it ti the correct size for your setup.

Then just use the quick links. Its simple. Loads of videos on youtube....

This is just an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWchudX-Tqs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Schimano quicklinks are crap, they fall apart after a couple of uses, sram or kmc ones are much better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement