Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prudential Ride London 2018

Options
  • 09-02-2018 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I just got an email confirming that I'd secured a spot in the ballot... Completely forgot I'd even entered!

Given that I had to pass late in the day in my LEL plans last year, I think I'll head over for this.

So any other boardsies heading over this July?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Got accepted too, but can't make it, going to accept it and defer to next year, and will definetly do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Got accepted too, but can't make it, going to accept it and defer to next year, and will definetly do it

Check the deferral rules. It’s something like pay this year, defer, and get a guaranteed place for next year, which you then pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Thanks. Had a quick read earlier and didn’t realize that.

Will let it slide so unless anyone here wants to take my entry. You are more than welcome to put it to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I'll give it a go. Lucky enough to have accommadation with a family member. Timing wise it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did it last year. Very well organised, fast course. Delays though for later leavers.
    Crowds were great on the way back into London, they make a great effort to encourage the cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'd be interested if anyone not using their entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I got a spot too, which I didn't particularly expect and I think I will probably go. Have to try find somewhere to stay that doesn't cost a fortune and isn't miles away from the start/finish. I would imagine you wouldn't want to be too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I got a spot too, which I didn't particularly expect and I think I will probably go. Have to try find somewhere to stay that doesn't cost a fortune and isn't miles away from the start/finish. I would imagine you wouldn't want to be too far away.
    I stayed in Fulham last year. 4.15am start across London! Just checked there, I was 20km from the start so not ideal, took me under the hour with traffic.
    Started meeting fellow cyclists around Piccadilly Circus and numbers grew from there so somewhere central or north east would be easier. It finishes in the centre so keep that in mind for the ride home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Thanks. Had a quick read earlier and didn’t realize that.

Will let it slide so unless anyone here wants to take my entry. You are more than welcome to put it to use.

Hi, Is your entry for sale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I’ve completed it twice. Stayed out in Ealing both times and cycled in, circa 25km. Have to say found the cycle in through a deserted Hyde park, Oxford Street etc one of the most enjoyable aspects. Does leave it well over 200km though in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Just a note about collecting rider packs:

This needs to be done the night before at the latest.
    If the rider named on the entry is not collecting the pack, the collector will need a signed letter naming the person collecting their pass and copy of their photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just booked into a hotel near the start Fri to Mon should bring me to just shy of 200k.

Rough plan is to ferry/drive, though might look into sail/rail with the bike if that's a lot cheaper.

I was thinking of driving over too but the 6 hour drive from Holyhead to London puts me off it a bit. I'm thinking of borrowing a bike box and flying over. If needs be I'll hire a car to ferry myself around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was thinking of driving over too but the 6 hour drive from Holyhead to London puts me off it a bit. I'm thinking of borrowing a bike box and flying over. If needs be I'll hire a car to ferry myself around.
    Train from Holyhead? Bike on a ferry is super relaxing and cheap.

The drive doesn't bother me that much I've done it before boring but meh. (rough cost is almost €400 return Inc ferry + fuel)

Ferry and rail seems to be the easiest and cheapest so far. €123 return

I have a bike box but lugging it around an airport and getting it to hotel then dismantling and remantling (?) it is a bit of a pain for one spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was lucky in the ballot but not going to do it so if anyone wants my place, PM and we'll attempt to arrange.

Well, that's me, I'm defo going now, all booked up.

City Jet to London City Airport on Sat 28th, return on Mon - 205e (including bike)
    Hotel 4 miles from the airport and 5km from Olympic Park - 165e for 2 nights. Place to store bike inside.

If anyone wants a discount code for Hotels.com let me know.

Did you contact them re: the bike separate?
    I'd a quick skim through their booking and seems to only be an option for 20kg checked bag (which the t&cs state doesn't cover sport equipment), couldn't see an option to add the bike online.

(I may be blind however)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I did this last year. It's a great event and very well organised. Mostly a flat course with a couple of hills. Leith Hill being the toughest, and Box Hill not as bad as they make out. The crowds were spectacular the whole way round!!!!!

I rented a bike bag (€50) and flew over with RyanAir. It cost an additional €60 ew to take the bike. I was able to put my bike in the hold of the bus from Stansted and everything worked out well.

I stayed in a Best Western in Epping Forest (£200 for 3 nights) and it was a 20min cycle to the start line from there.

You do need to register the day before so I'd recommend flying on the Friday or very early on Saturday to ensure you have anything in order.

One thing I didnt organise in advance was that you can arrange for your bike to be transported back to Olympic park after the event. I brought mine on the tube and then a taxi back to the hotel. It all worked out well on the Tube but I believe there's a few tubelines that you'r not allowed to take your bike on + all the tube stations around the finish were closed so it was a bit of a trek to get to a tube station.

Grassey wrote: »
    Did you contact them re: the bike separate?
    I'd a quick skim through their booking and seems to only be an option for 20kg checked bag (which the t&cs state doesn't cover sport equipment), couldn't see an option to add the bike online.

(I may be blind however)

It's a bit of a stupid system. You book your flight and then ring them with your booking number and pay for the bike separately. I would ring them first to confirm they will have room for the bike before making the flight booking just to make sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement