Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home after a year.

Options
  • 09-02-2018 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

Expected home in 5 months, last while ive been thinking about not bothering going home even though i had bought a return when i left Ireland. The lads are expecting me home to catch up and go on a lads holiday etc, and my family would be expecting me home as it will have been gone a year.
    Anyone else have to tell you're parents your not heading home when they would be expecting you home, have an elderly relative thats been expecting me home since i left too but i honestly cant see the reason in going home.
    Between the end of a visa here and the planned holiday id be looking at nearly 6 weeks in ireland altough id be living at home etc thats 6 weeks with no income and plenty of expenses along the way after it i definitly wouldnt have the funds for the flight or visa to my next destination.
    So any tips on how to tell them youre considering not heading home? Another thing i cant understand is is people expect you to travel the whole way across the globe to visit; but wouldnt drive 20 minutes to see you when you do get home.

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

People really are weird, it's your life, do what makes you happy, explain to those in a nice way of course, that you are happy, and that you won't be home when expected, tell them how much you are enjoying your life away. If they respect you, they will respect your wishes. Enjoy your adventures away and best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What do YOU want to do?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's can be tough, but ultimately it's your life and you have to do what's best for you. Rather than wind yourself up worrying about what they might say, just say that you've realised there's more for you outside Ireland at the moment. If they care about you and what's best for you, they'll support you.

If anyone starts trying to guilt you into coming home, tell them to come and visit you, that usually works ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Be honest and ask for their support. Do what you feel is the best thing to do and stick to your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Interesting username OP. Are you still a smoker?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Expected home in 5 months, last while ive been thinking about not bothering going home even though i had bought a return when i left Ireland. The lads are expecting me home to catch up and go on a lads holiday etc, and my family would be expecting me home as it will have been gone a year.
    Anyone else have to tell you're parents your not heading home when they would be expecting you home, have an elderly relative thats been expecting me home since i left too but i honestly cant see the reason in going home.
    Between the end of a visa here and the planned holiday id be looking at nearly 6 weeks in ireland altough id be living at home etc thats 6 weeks with no income and plenty of expenses along the way after it i definitly wouldnt have the funds for the flight or visa to my next destination.
    So any tips on how to tell them youre considering not heading home? Another thing i cant understand is is people expect you to travel the whole way across the globe to visit; but wouldnt drive 20 minutes to see you when you do get home.

Honestly buddy, they would understand. Definitely your family would
    Your friends would likely cheer you on for continue travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Interesting username OP. Are you still a smoker?

A bit ive been on and off, hoping to get off them again. Very interesting question

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Just do it ?

No point in living your life to appease other people, even family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Haven’t been home for two years and less inclined to do so with every passing season. Agree with the OP on many levels. The cost of going back to Ireland for a holiday is a lot and there are a lot of places I’d rather go for a holiday that are much cheaper. A lot of people go abroad to work and save money but most people won’t be saving a lot if they have to visit the family during holidays. It’s a vicious cycle that a lot of people get caught up in.

You are likely not really missed that much day to day. People ask are you coming home just to be nice, but they haven’t put their life on hold awaiting your return or anything.

Advertisement