Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pin hole gum rejuvenation

Options
  • 08-02-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Has anyone had pin hole gum rejuvenation? I am trying to find a dentist in So Co Dublin that offers this but I am not having much luck. From an aesthetic point of view I don’t fancy gum fillings as surely your teeth still maintain that long look.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

New to me, had a quick google and pubmed. Not a ton of research on it, but it looks to me to have some merit. I see one dentist in Dublin doing it. Usually these recession defects are prone to occurrence and only mild type 1 defects cover predictably. The reason you have recession is the lack of bone. I would talk to a periodontist who knows about these things. I find only one retrospective study on it and the predictability is stated as low as 69% +/- 19%...thats a 50:50 best at worst? Seems pretty minimally invasive. I would say very technique sensitive.

Let me know how you get on...interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

New to me, had a quick google and pubmed. Not a ton of research on it, but it looks to me to have some merit. I see one dentist in Dublin doing it. Usually these recession defects are prone to occurrence and only mild type 1 defects cover predictably. The reason you have recession is the lack of bone. I would talk to a periodontist who knows about these things. I find only one retrospective study on it and the predictability is stated as low as 69% +/- 19%...thats a 50:50 best at worst? Seems pretty minimally invasive. I would say very technique sensitive.

Let me know how you get on...interested to know.

Thank you for your reply. I believe my recession was caused by an over zealous hygienist in the early 90’s who advised me to brush my gums hard with a hard brush.

There seems to be many dentists offering it in the UK so I might get some real life feedback from a UK based board.

I will take your advice and visit a periodontist before making my decision. I will update this thread if I go ahead with it.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Called the Chao Pinhole technique and it is trademarked and guarded very carefully by the developer of the technique. It is a tunneling technique, in other words with traditional gum surgery there is an incision in the gum and it is lifted off the bone and replaced with a graft underneath it. With this technique, there is a hole made and the gum is lifted but the part of the gum that comes closest to the tooth remains attached and the graft is tucked through the hole. I've seen some results and it looks good but for very specific types of recession. If you have lost the papilla (black triangles between the teeth) you're probably not suitable, and it's not the only technique that can get predictable results, if you have this specific type of recession there are other techniques that can get predictable results. Certainly the periodontists that I'm exposed to are all confident that they can get good root coverage with the techniques they use, some of which are tunneling like the Chao technique and some which aren't.

Long story short, have a consultation with a local periodontist who will be able to give you advice about the likelihood of a good outcome for what you would like done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 uberua

Hi! I have found this topic by accident when looking for pinhole gum rejuvenation. Did you find a dentist who does it in Ireland (I live in Cork). Thank you

Advertisement