Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike advice

Options
  • 08-02-2018 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all, I've been thinking of getting one of these
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-sl-2-disc-2018
    Hope that link works. Any reason not to go for it? I have a bike to work coming up, already have audacio 400 but had a bad knee injury last year resulting in operation and long rehab and I want a treat. It would be mainly for 40-50k spins at weekend and 20km each way commute twice a week from April on. I had wanted a crossbike, can't explain why as I won't be off road but shop advised against it. I won't be buying online so no point looking at canyon or anything like that, and I won't be spending any more than 1200. I like the idea of being able to fit 28mm tyres and the disc brakes.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're planning on commuting on it - what is it like for mounting mudguards?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

I have to check that, but being honest it probably doesn't matter because I generally only do it on dry days anyway, never had mudguards on my lapierre. If i get up and it looks like rain I take the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Alanstrainor of this parish bought one lately as far as I recall, and he seems to be very happy with it, so he might be along with more specific comments, or perhaps he'd respond to a message if he doesn't happen cross this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have the Defy Disc, which the contend replaced. On the defy disc, which I don't really know 100% how much is relevant to the contend... No rack mounts (you can, however, buy a D Fuse Seat Collar), bespoke mudguards (about the going rate for full mudguards in fairness) unless going clip on's. 28mm were tight, and it was too tight when I tried to put 32mm cross tyres.

I would say nothing wrong with it if you're 100% sure your going to stick to the road only. The lack of clearance bugged me, as I wanted to try some gravel/ fireroad/ light off road riding.

Advertisement