Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to back chimney breast: Major noise leaking

Options
  • 08-02-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi.

I have recently bought a mid terrace three story house. It has back to back chimney breasts with the neighbours. There is a lot of sound leaking through from their house (and I imagine from mine into theirs). Even general chit chat I can hear clearly.
    Has anyone had a similar issue and could suggest a solution?

Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

timber frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Diarmiesta

Its a masonry chimney. Its never been lined. I've since had a camera up it.
    Theres plenty of cracking etc along the chimney wall.
    I'm looking to get a gas stove put in.
    So I'm hoping that if I get the chimney cleaned, lined and then fill the gaping between the liner and the chimney wall with vermiculite it will help the problem.
    I guess I'm just seeing if anyone else has done something like this with this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

May not be the chimney... I've lived in 2 houses like yours....where I could hear the next door neighbour snoring :)
    One of them had shared chimney other didn't.
    Both were made from cavity blocks. And only plaster board covering it.
    My point is... Don't pin all your hopes on the chimney being the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Diarmiesta

Thanks. Appreciate the comments.
    The walls a certain stone but I take your point. I guess I'll just have to see if the chimney work helps. It'll need to be done as standard for the stove installation anyway.
    Fingers crossed.

Advertisement