Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for Smart Trainer users

Options
  • 08-02-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

I use a dumb trainer...use it with zwift, find it great in fairness. Granted it could be over/under estimating power but it’s consistent and repeatable.
    Zwift has a power curve for it so it adjusts my speed based on the incline/draft etc.

I’m wondering if a smart trainer is actually easier on the body as you can freewheel a bit to recover etc.
    my question is, do you actually work out harder on a dumb trainer as there is no let up,whereas the smart trainer is trying to replicate the road so you’ll get the odd break.
    I notice even when I’m going down hill on my dumb trainer I’m often still flat out pedaling just to stay with lads who are putting out considerably Less w/kg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I use a dumb trainer...use it with zwift, find it great in fairness. Granted it could be over/under estimating power but it’s consistent and repeatable.
    Zwift has a power curve for it so it adjusts my speed based on the incline/draft etc.

I’m wondering if a smart trainer is actually easier on the body as you can freewheel a bit to recover etc.
    my question is, do you actually work out harder on a dumb trainer as there is no let up,whereas the smart trainer is trying to replicate the road so you’ll get the odd break.
    I notice even when I’m going down hill on my dumb trainer I’m often still flat out pedaling just to stay with lads who are putting out considerably Less w/kg.

i mainly use my Tacx Flux for the Workout /ERG mode feature so there is no difference in the quality of work i do between that and a dumb trainer. if you just want to cycle around Zwift Island/London, etc. and have Difficulty set high where the smart trainer changes resistance then yes, its easier on the downhills. but why you want to be free wheeling on a turbo/smart trainer is beyond me unless you are doing the Races on Zwift where you need to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

To actually go fast on zwift downhills (more than what zwift gravity allows), one needs to produce a lot of power on smart trainer as well, it may be similar to what you are experiencing...

As an example, on smart trainer, going downhill in zwift at 60kph, if I produce 3.5w/kg, my speed would not change, it would only reduce decelleration. There is a certain power barrier one needs to overcome to increase the speed, which may require, say, me surge the flywheel at an expense of me standind up and sprinting briefly.

Advertisement