Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest becoming Google again

Options
  • 08-02-2018 10:24am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Nest is being officially folded back into Google again.

For the last few years it has been a separate company under the umbrella of Alphabet, the parent company that owns Google, but now it is again directly under Googles hardware division. They say this will lead to closer integration.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16987002/nest-google-alphabet-smart-home-competition-amazon-alexa-apple

Good news for Nest, but a little worrying for everyone else. I've really liked the way that Google had been treating Nest no different then any other company. For instance my Netatmo thermostat worked exactly the same way on Google Home as Nest does, seemingly both using the exact same API's. I hope this continues.

Advertisement