Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods Attitudes to Transphobia on Boards (Non-LGBT Forums)

Options
  • 08-02-2018 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

So last night I found myself looking into a thread in After Hours concerning the "peoplekind" comments of Justin Trudeau - comments which incidentally, it transpires, were meant as a joke - a joke in bad taste, but a joke nonetheless. But of course the usual types in AH were up-in-arms at yet another perceived attack on their freedom to say whatever the hell they want - and the perpetually offended, idiotic, regressive comments began pouring in about "gender politics". And, lo and behold, it wasn't long before a poster dragged transpeople into the debate - throwing us under the bus so to speak. This is when I took issue.

The poster in question used the medical treatment of young trans people to highlight how society was somehow failing - i.e. offering reversible blockers to delay puberty until that child is old enough to make a decision concerning permanent changes to their own body. This poster brought into question the healthcare of one of the most vulnerable groups in our society citing their "concerns" for those children's welfare. All of which, as you would expect in a forum like AH, was met with many circle jerk "thanks".

Now, to me, the idea of politicizing children's healthcare to score a few points is abhorrent and quite cowardly - and when it concerns the healthcare of transpeople I become quite passionate in my stance and will defend the small bit of healthcare afforded to us in no uncertain terms - unapologeticlly so - every single time.

I didn't expect much support, as we all know AH is no safe space for LGBTQ+ users and especially the "T" part. And I was right not to as many of the comments made to me in response were blatantly transphobic. Some were made under the guise of moral panic and "concern" for young children from posters who have no qualifications in this field whatsoever. Others made mocking comments comparing self-identifying individuals to that of someone claiming to be an alien in an old tired internet trope - but I guess it was okay for them to make these comments as some of their best friends know a transperson, apparently... A few others flat out denied our existence, with claims that "trans children don't exist", you're all just "dressing up", etc. etc. etc. I reported some of the more outrageous comments but of course no action was taken, then nor subsequently. Which is pretty much an indictment of how the MODs treat this issue there.

In an astounding display of arrogance I have been patronizingly and dismissively accused of having "hurt feeling" over all this - I do not (as I hear worse walking home from the shop). I do, however, stand up for my rights and the rights of anyone who makes the incredibly difficult decision to begin transitioning (at any age), and I take umbrage with anyone who makes this a more difficult process than it already is for people suffering gender dysphoria. The comments last night not only attacked trans children but also the parents and all the medical professionals involved in each individual case - again under the regressive, ignorant umbrella of "concern".

The debate on whether transpeople exist is also no longer up for discussion. Like it or not we do. And we have a right to be treated with respect, and to be given the proper medical treatments whatever our age. But yet, we are still being forced to defend ourselves on this site. Be it from some ignorant misplaced sense of "concern" or the more malignant bigotry found in moral panic arguments which I encountered last night. I, of course, was banned for a month for defending those rights. Was my manner of replying to bigots a little abrasive? Yes. And yours would be too, if you constantly had to face the kind of prejudices I do as a transwoman on such a regular basis here on Boards.

This is only the latest incident of notable transphobia I have been on the receiving end of since signing up here - I have in the past encountered it in other forums such as Personal Issues, Humanities and indeed here in the LGBT one as well. And bar this forum the mods almost always look the other way when reported.

I can only conclude that Transphobia is a alive and well on this site and in particular in After Hours, as the MODs in that forum seem to turn a blind eye to it every time. At this stage I honestly believe many of these MODs hold the same anti-trans sympathies as the people they should be modding.

I remember a while back on this forum, in a thread about trolls coming into the LGBT forum to cause trouble, a MOD saying that After Hours does handle trans issues respectively. Well, I'm sorry to disagree they just don't. Rights for gay, lesbian and bi people may have come a long way on that forum but it is still open season on transpeople there.

Thanks for the read.

P/s My own opinion of Trudeau is that he is a bit of an asshat, but let's not...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Unfortunately even for LGB issues, AH is still very backwards (I'm avoiding more evocative terms), and it's definitely abominable for trans issues. As to this thread, I think it's inevitably going to be closed down as it's frowned upon to critisizs forums in other ones. Feedback might be the most 'appropriate' place but I'm not sure if you'll get the kind of discussion you're after sanctioned anywhere and as you pointed out, transphobia seems to be more readily ignored outside of this forum so it could easily morph into more of the same...and I don't know what the solution is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Unfortunately even for LGB issues, AH is still very backwards (I'm avoiding more evocative terms), and it's definitely abominable for trans issues. As to this thread, I think it's inevitably going to be closed down as it's frowned upon to critisizs forums in other ones. Feedback might be the most 'appropriate' place but I'm not sure if you'll get the kind of discussion you're after sanctioned anywhere and as you pointed out, transphobia seems to be more readily ignored outside of this forum so it could easily morph into more of the same...and I don't know what the solution is.

I wasn't saying homophobia had gone away on these forums - but the MODs do a better job with it. I don't expect the behaviour of users to change - but the MODs are seriously lacking on these issues.

I appreciate the feedback though, and I agree: I suspect this thread will be closed soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I wasn't saying homophobia had gone away on these forums - but the MODs do a better job with it. I don't expect the behaviour of users to change - but the MODs are seriously lacking on these issues.

I agree with you and sorry if I seemed dismissive, wasn't my intention at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I agree with you and sorry if I seemed dismissive, wasn't my intention at all.

No, I know you weren't being dismissive. I was just further elucidating. No worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Guys, I'm closing this simply because this isn't the right place to give feedback on issues in other forums- most folks who post in AH won't see this thread, and neither will admins etc who can do something about it.

If you have problems with the modding in other forums, the best thing to do is report posts you believe need reporting, and if you feel that a particular forum isn't abiding by the overall ethos of the site, then do start a thread in feedback.

I'm sorry to have the close the thread, but I do feel it's the est thing to do in this instance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement