Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorite Observed From Co Meath

Options
  • 08-02-2018 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I have just joined this forum as I saw what I believe to be a meteorite? (approx. between 20:00 - 22:00) last night (Tuesday 6th February 2018). I have seen shooting stars before which are just a quick streak of light but my observation last night lasted for approx. three seconds. I was looking eastward and the meteorite came from the a North Westerly direction I actually observed it traveling in the South East portion of the sky. It had a distinctive head that was glowing with a fairly long tail.

Did anyone else see this, I have googled this and seen no comments?

Comments

Think I just saw one tonight. In clare

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

i seen one tonight about 730 8 ish heading north east ish huge fireball from it never seen anything like it before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's not just me so. I posted this, this morning, in the Kilkenny forum.
    Did anyone hear anything about a meteorite falling in the Mullinavat area last Thursday night? I was driving to Waterford on the M9 late in the evening and a quick but distinct flash of red and purple crossed over the motorway and disappeared into the countryside. It happened so quickly I couldn't focus on it but it was travelling sideways and not up like I'd expect a firework to fly, which was my first thought - I know fireworks can go off course but it was just the one, at a late enough hour and didn't look like any firework I've ever seen. I've googled but haven't come across anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

you can see meteorites most clear nights if you are patient. As a child, along with my best friend we used to set up two dining chairs in the garden and put a large plank between them. then we lay on the plank each observing one half of the sky. Many many meteorites we saw/

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

Its a meteor just to be picky

only a meteorite when something is recovered on the ground (or in a lake like the chelyabinsk main mass)

• Advertisement

Its a meteor just to be picky

only a meteorite when something is recovered on the ground (or in a lake like the chelyabinsk main mass)

This I knew but it seemed wrong to be pedantic to a newbie. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grazza_astro

I don't have a problem being corrected, its something I knew as a kid but in my excitement forgot.

I appreciate that METEORS can be seen on many a clear night with patients and luck, its just the one I saw was unusually bright and long lasting and as as they burn fairly high in the atmosphere should be visible from any where in the Country just suprised no one else seemed to witness it?

I don't have a problem being corrected, its something I knew as a kid but in my excitement forgot.

I appreciate that METEORS can be seen on many a clear night with patients and luck, its just the one I saw was unusually bright and long lasting and as as they burn fairly high in the atmosphere should be visible from any where in the Country just suprised no one else seemed to witness it?

Maybe seen by many who are not members of the forum. Maybe not, no idea.

That's just it. I reckoned that from the trajectory it was in when I saw it that it was on the point of landing, hence meteorite, and whether it was worth trespassing on farmers' land to look and see could I find it if there was anything left to find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

That's just it. I reckoned that from the trajectory it was in when I saw it that it was on the point of landing, hence meteorite, and whether it was worth trespassing on farmers' land to look and see could I find it if there was anything left to find.
    Anyone who sees the flash is highly unlikely to see it land. The flash is caused by contact with the atmosphere, after which it continues for dozens of miles in what's called 'dark flight'. The only exception would be if it was on an almost vertical trajectory, which is very rare due to the speed of the meteor and the rotating Earth.

• Advertisement

Ok, it wasn't a meteorite then. It must have been a firework gone wrong. Strange though because I passed the place this afternoon and there aren't any houses for a good bit around. Maybe a sparkly UFO. :D

Ok, it wasn't a meteorite then. It must have been a firework gone wrong. Strange though because I passed the place this afternoon and there aren't any houses for a good bit around. Maybe a sparkly UFO. :D
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ChicaneAuto

Delighted to see this thread, I saw one yesterday at dunboyne around, 20:00 and tonight in Senschalstown about the same time. Green, burnt out quickly. I was sure it was a firework on a horizontal trajectory at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Delighted to see this thread, I saw one yesterday at dunboyne around, 20:00 and tonight in Senschalstown about the same time. Green, burnt out quickly. I was sure it was a firework on a horizontal trajectory at first.

I was out walking the dog a few years ago. Looked up and saw what looked like a firework or meteorite coming down from the sky. The height of it was what had me convinced it wasn’t a firework. I’d swear it was near enough to hear a kind of pop that was not loud. Like it disintegrated fairly close by!

I’m also in Meath near the coast.

Advertisement