Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Parents Recieve FIS , Does That Mean I Can't Get A Part Time Job?

Options
  • 07-02-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My parents receive Fis im not quite sure about all the details but i know we do, Im 17 and looking for a part time job and my mam has told me i cant because then she'll get less money , my brothers in college and also has the' susie' grant so she threatens me that if i was to get a job my brother could not afford college. I have no real insight it to this but my mother likes to lie and i'm not sure if it's true , if so will i not be able to have a job until i leave job , this frightens me as i will have no experience. I hate relying on my parents for the little money that we do have. SO is what my mothers telling me is true , what can I do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

FIS is granted for 1 year from the start of the claim based on previous years household income and number of dependant children. You working won't reduce her FIS payment if you turn 18 before her year on FIS is up . When you are 18 her FIS will be reduced anyway as you will be one less dependant child. I'm no expert , contact your local citizens information centre for more advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Any income a child has is not counted in the FIS calculation.
    The following payments do not count as family income:

Child Benefit
    Guardian's payments
    Supplementary Welfare Allowance
    Domiciliary Care Allowance
    Foster Child Allowance
    Rent Allowance for tenants affected by the de-control of rents
    Rent Supplement
    Income from a charitable organisation
    Income from providing accommodation to students studying Irish in Gaeltacht areas under a scheme administered by the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
    Any income your children may have

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

FIS is granted for 1 year from the start of the claim based on previous years household income and number of dependant children. You working won't reduce her FIS payment if you turn 18 before her year on FIS is up . When you are 18 her FIS will be reduced anyway as you will be one less dependant child. I'm no expert , contact your local citizens information centre for more advice

Think the parents can claim FIS up to the age of 22 if the dependant child is in higher education.

Advertisement