Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric water heating digital timer / thermostat

Options
  • 07-02-2018 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

I currently have a Nest thermostat which allows me to control my gas heating via the app and it is working fine.
    My water, however, is still heated by electricity. I have a digital display for the water heating but it is not user friendly / basically doesn't work properly and I cant set the timing on it to heat the water at particular times.
    Could anyone recommend a device to control the electric heating only (with or without an app, preferably with) which would allow me to control the electric water heating. Any help here is much appreciated

Regards
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

You could use EPH Ember with a contactor to switch your element. This will give you time and temperature control as well as app control

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jackm25 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a device to control the electric heating only (with or without an app, preferably with) which would allow me to control the electric water heating.

By 'electric heating' I am assuming you mean the immersion heating element only.

Both of the switches/timers below (pick one only) will go between the mains feed and the On/Off Sink/Bath switch. This means that when you go on holidays or away for the weekend, you can just flip the manual switch to 'off' and you won't have to worry about reprogramming the timer. When you're at home, the switch will be permanently set to 'on' and controlled by the timer.

Without an app, consider Sangamo, this model .... https://www.sangamo.co.uk/products/powersaver-select?variant=41545698502

With an app ..... http://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

You can get dual-element timers which will do the Sink/Bath selection based on your instructions but they are more complicated to install and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jackm25

Thank you so much for your responses guys. I am looking into getting the timeguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If you have nest version 3, it can control water heating. If it is possible with respect to wiring positions, you could put a relay on the electric immersion, controlled by the nest and of course the immersion thermostat.

Would be a tidy solution - 1 controller / app to rule them all!

Advertisement