Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not being paid entitled oncall allowance

Options
  • 07-02-2018 5:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭

Myself and a group of others went on call for the company we work for about 6 months ago. There is a clear company policy that outlines any employee that works on call is paid a set on call allowance of X amount. However we are still waiting for this allowance to be paid even though we have been on call 6 months . Myself and a few others have asked our manager about this on a number of occasions and we basically have been told its been worked on. It feels like we are being fobbed off if I'm being honest. In my opinion there seems to be a disconnect between us our manager and HR. HR aren't really onsite . Its based offsite in the UK so the whole process is very impersonal. Our manager told us a while back we would be getting it and it would be back paid. I would like to ask HR directly but I don't want to piss my manager off by going over his head. Advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

stop being on call and see how quick they come back with an answer then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

stop being on call and see how quick they come back with an answer then!

Exactly or just leave. Plenty of IT jobs out there.
    And state the reason why in your exit review.

Have you approached HR yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Give a months notice to say you are finishing on call if compensation has not been paid by that time. It is compensation because you and in some cases others (your partner or family) can be restricted from other activities while you are on call.
    There are loads of genuine excuses for not been on call outside work hours; no car, no WiFi, babysitting, going fishing, going away, on the piss.

Don’t leave the job for this reason. There are a lot of people in jobs working on call and don’t get paid for it and while there are a lot of jobs i reckon the money isn’t great in some new jobs because there are so many people willing to work for less.

Exactly or just leave. Plenty of IT jobs out there.
    And state the reason why in your exit review.

Have you approached HR yet?
    The OP doesn't mention what area they work in.

You need to say clearly to your manager that you aren't happy and that you aren't willing to do it indefinitely without the extra compensation.

Not knowing your situation I would avoid an ultimatum but as said above you have to set out a clear timeline to fix it or stop.

Advertisement