Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipped wing mirrors

Options
  • 07-02-2018 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Met a driver 2 days ago on a road with no markings. I felt he was over my side of the road. Both wing mirrors smashed. I kinda knew him  and I had to be somewhere so we said we'd talk about it after. I felt it would be a "fix your own" scenario as it would be my word against his. I reported it to a guard and they said to agree between us. I could get a mirror for mine for about 50 quid. When I contacted him the next day he had contacted his insurance and got a qoute for 1800 for new mirror, new door glass(said it was chipped) and touch up paint. (2008 E class merc) Bit excessive I thought. He was claiming I was at fault. I didn't want to go through my insurance as I will lose my NCB but it looks like I have no choice. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah leave him be if he thinks that money is acceptable for a mirror then let him prove you were at fault .

That's ridiculous money. I replaced my mirror on my m3 for a quarter of that 2008 Merc pffft

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Frag111

Ya, but I assume his insurance are going after mine for the cost. So based on that, I guess I will have to inform my insurance myself and put in the counter claim - therefore ncb gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Yes. If he has been in touch with his insurance company then you are obliged to inform yours.
    Get a dashcam. Would be very useful in this kind of scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Road with no markings? Always thought it was 50/50 in the event of an accident. Inform your insurance company but it's his word against yours. Guards don't want to know as it's a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi, were there any markings on the road for example skid marks?

Take a photo of so and go out some day with your car and take a photo of position just to have it shown how wide/narrow the road is as a picture shows it very well.

Are they going to claim an injury now also!!!! This would be a worry as that sort of money is crazy for a mirror. I understand they are adding in window and probably the mirror scuffed door paint.

Contact your insurance and ask for claims number.

Forward them all the info and pictures you take and be very straight about how exactly it happened and approximate speed etc.
    Was the road dry and visibility and obviously that there are no markings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

And this is why getting a €100 dashcam is worth it's weight in gold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Once more, with feeling :rolleyes:

If you are involved in an accident you must report it to your insurance company. Your view of fault, any private arrangements outside of insurance and so on are utterly irrelevant.

There is an obligation to report to your insurer under contract and under statute.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Frag111 wrote:
    Ya, but I assume his insurance are going after mine for the cost. So based on that, I guess I will have to inform my insurance myself and put in the counter claim - therefore ncb gone?

Let your insurance handle it. Even if they pay out you have the option of paying them back & keeping your ncb. Also they handle claims like this everyday & for the most part will be better at it than you or I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Why would you let insurance handle it if you have not admitted liability .If it happened as you say ,i would let the other driver high and dry.I had a similar tip like that but i only knocked the cover off the wing mirror not even breaking the glass ,i admitted liability because i had weaved over avoiding pot holes.Anyway the part cost €40 new off main dealer but between' scratches' being touched up ,fitting and hire of replacement car for a day ,the insurance bill came to €850 and this was opel astra 5 years old!!!

Advertisement