Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil Tap water warning in South Sligo Area

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Over two months later and this boil water notice is still in place. I know there doing more testing of the water supply at the end of the month but its going on a ridiculous long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

I believe it will be at least a year before they can get on top of this water crisis, the water was infected by sheep shi*e up in Lough Talt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Black Bart wrote: »
    I believe it will be at least a year before they can get on top of this water crisis, the water was infected by sheep shi*e up in Lough Talt

I have said to people it was caused by sheep, them (and other animals) are nearly always getting into lough talt - but then people have corrected me and said it was a special type of snail that carried the Cryptosporidium parasite and was found by there .

I thought i had read that the Cryptosporidium parasite needs either human or animal because it survives in the digestive tract and then spread through human or animal faeces ...

EDIT: - my fault, I am getting mixed up (or the people that told me it was caused by snails is getting mixed up) I just read up on it again and what it is, is that these 'special' species of snails are in lough Talt and are in a protected area and are a protected species under EU law and are hampering Irish Water carrying out remedial repairs or any work or plans submitted for new treatment plant because of these special species of snails there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I live in Tubbercurry, and there's a treatment plant right at the back of my estate.

the day that works commenced there, was the same day the warning went out about infected water.

Possibly a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I live in Tubbercurry, and there's a treatment plant right at the back of my estate.

the day that works commenced there, was the same day the warning went out about infected water.

Possibly a link?

Have lived in the south sligo area all my life and cant ever remember there being a boil water notice on the lough talt supply. Its an odd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

some things I have read about the cryptosporidium parasite is that a lot of people with a good/normal immune system can just pass through the digestive system fine with most people .. but I suppose they have to put that boil notice in operation as a precaution i would say.

I keep forgetting about the boil notice and every now and again getting water straight out of the tap , same as the rest of the family ... then thought afterwards "****e, shouldnt have done that!" and been fine ... you watch now I have said that most probably be ****ting through the eye of a needle next time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Possibly a link?
    That is a waste water treatment plant and has been scheduled for a upgrade for few years. There are a few more WWTP getting up graded in County Sligo at the moment too. It's nothing to do with drinking water. The water treatment plant at Lough Talt is fairly dated at this stage and will need a major upgrade. No matter what we hear from Irish water or the county council in the meantime I can't see this boil notice been lifted until it gets a upgrade. That would be an 2020-21 at the earliest but I hope I'm wrong. There needs to be a lot of pressure put on local councillors and TDs to speed up the process.

Advertisement