Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of an odd one

Options
  • 06-02-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is vague and a bit odd. Work are asking everyone to complete some new training which is fine, and you have to pass a test to get your certificate again which is fine but now they are asking everyone to sign a declaration stating that you fully understand all the training and the new way of doing things. And to be honest it's as clear as mud and although I passed the test I'm not 100%clear on everything. Are you obliged to sign this or is ok to say actually you aren't fully happy?

Appreciate any input!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Does your job/prospects for promotion depend on you having that training/certification?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I wouldn’t sign it unless you are completely clear.
    Maybe suggest that the training isn’t as comprehensive as it should be, detail a list of your queries and have them answered, in writing.

By signing your committing to be proficient at the job and so any error in the future will be down to you rather than poor training etc. It will easily be leveraged into pip’s and disciplinary actions.

Only sign something when your 100% happy.

_Brian wrote: »
    Maybe suggest that the training isn’t as comprehensive as it should be, detail a list of your queries and have them answered, in writing.

By signing your committing to be proficient at the job and so any error in the future will be down to you rather than poor training etc. It will easily be leveraged into pip’s and disciplinary actions.

The flip side being, if you refuse to sign, they may assume you are the incapable, particularly if others sign the form.

_Brian wrote: »

The flip side being, if you refuse to sign, they may assume you are the incapable, particularly if others sign the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

davo10 wrote: »

The corollary is that the OP actually passed the test though. You can refuse on the basis that what you are being asked to sign is too restrictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Thanks everyone. I'm there a good while and have read and signed all the usual stuff etc never worried about anything. But this makes me uneasy. Im really not trying to rock the boat but it worries me and I was just honest with my manager about it. No hostility or anything just explained my worries. Hope it won't go against me!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you a union??

If yes bring it up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Thanks and yup, I did think about it and it's probably a good idea alright.

Advertisement