Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine goosed....anyone seen any offers?

Options
  • 06-02-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭

Had a repair guy in today and said that it's time for new machine as drum is banjaxed on current one

Wife wants it sorted STRAIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!

So ... am on the look out if ye see anything before weekend

Regards and thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Well, Miele is the recognised brand leader is most appliances that I can see ... but I personally don't have 2 grand to spend on a washing machine.

Signed up to Which.co.uk a while ago.. £1 for a month...
    Gave a list of most reliable brands for machines...
    Funny enough twas topped by LG. Followed by Bosch.

I see that both are well discounted in Currys at the mo.
    http://www.currys.ie/category/washing-machines/395.0.0

I'm told what you want is a brushless (or induction) motor for a long life machine.
    I'm leaning towards a Bosch 8kg for €399 - €429 available from DID as well...
    https://www.did.ie/bosch-8kg-1400-spin-freestanding-washing-machine-white-wan28200gb-wan28200gb-prd

Supposed to be a silent operator... so I'd say coming from a 5kg machine that rattles the house down I'd say we won't know ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Can I throw into the mix??......what about a Washer Dryer. ?? Have student son home with bags of washing in a Saturday needling same fir a return to college on Sunday!!! Wife always panicking on how to get things dry in time.

Seems another €200 on the price....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Masala wrote: »
    Had a repair guy in today and said that it's time for new machine as drum is banjaxed on current one
    these days there are loads of online guides and diagnostics and forums where you can check symptoms and know if it is even work calling in a repair guy.

this was one I found
    https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk

espares have them but I found their products expensive, but guides are good

https://www.espares.ie/

On my washing machine I found I needed carbon brushes and got them for a fraction of the price of espares, and of course far cheaper than getting a repair man in.

On my tumble drier I needed a new capacitor. I have fixed countless items over the years for myself and others.

In both cases (washing machine & drier) the replacements I got were not identical but better than the originals. This is common enough but you would have to know a thing or two.

I know some tradesmen and most do not really try and find cheap items, they just pay what they are asked and lash on labour, and may just get identical replacements even though with a bit of research you can find cheaper and better alternatives. In fairness many customers want it ASAP so they are paying irish wholesaler prices which are often outlandish. Due to this it can be more cost effective to just scrap it and buy another machine new, if you are paying call out fees, then additional call out fees, labour & parts.

If you are going to post on a repair forum or ask a friend who is known "for fixing" stuff for an opinion my advice would be to get a decent video of what is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Can I throw into the mix??......what about a Washer Dryer. ?? Have student son home with bags of washing in a Saturday needling same fir a return to college on Sunday!!! Wife always panicking on how to get things dry in time.

I would always go for separates myself... if you have the space
    We bought a cheap Beko condenser dryer a few years ago and its still going strong. And thats here in Galway ...where everybody should be given a dryer at birth !!!
    That wasn't much more than 200 yoyos.
    The Condenser type is really handy.. no big tube needed to vent the steam... so you can put it in any room that suits you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Go for separates, that way you can have one load being washed, and another being dried. A lot less hassle.

Advertisement