Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a commercial jeep privately

Options
  • 06-02-2018 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if I'm correct in saying that if I buy a brand new commercial jeep (e.g a Kia Sorento), I must pay tax on the engine size rather then the emissions?

So a passenger Sorento is €390 per year, while a commercial Sorento taxed privately would be €950?

Also if I'm correct do the same rules apply to a crew cab like a D Max, L200, etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You are correct. Private tax on any commercial vehicle is based on engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Is it a lot cheaper to go the commercial route rather than get a van taxed and insured privately ??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bear83

Yes I think so but it's difficult now to get commercial tax unless you are a registered business as far as I know.
    I am looking for something to pull a horsebox but I've heard alot of insurance companies won't insure crew cabs privately so it's quite messy

Bear83 wrote: »
    Yes I think so but it's difficult now to get commercial tax unless you are a registered business as far as I know.
    I am looking for something to pull a horsebox but I've heard alot of insurance companies won't insure crew cabs privately so it's quite messy

I don't know much about horse ownership but if you own cattle or sheep you need a heard number and this will enable you to get commercial tax, surely you have something similar for horses?

Also just get commercial insurance, it covers private use also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I don't know much about horse ownership but if you own cattle or sheep you need a heard number and this will enable you to get commercial tax, surely you have something similar for horses?

Also just get commercial insurance, it covers private use also.

The owner of the premises (e.g. livery stables) where the horse is kept will have an equine premises number (equivalent to a livestock herd number), not necessarily the owner of the horse.

I went through the same process recently myself, gave up on the idea of a privately taxed crew cab and ended up buying a used passenger Kia Sorento. Its grand for the job unless you're towing a pair of big hunters or shires etc.

• Advertisement

I will soon have an equine premises number but I'm not sure that will be sufficient to get commercial tax. I've heard a Herd no. alone is no longer working. The farm needs to show it's an actual business. I wouldn't be operating as a business. The horses are only for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Best thing would be to ask your local motortax office as they seem to differ on what is required.

.............I wouldn't be operating as a business. The horses are only for sport.

Well would you ask a Garda to stamp a goods only declaration for you in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Augeo wrote: »
    .............I wouldn't be operating as a business. The horses are only for sport.

Well would you ask a Garda to stamp a goods only declaration for you in that case?

Yes, fairly sure the guards have bigger and better things to do ! Op , go into your local station and get the form signed. It won't be an issue

It's not the form from the guards that's an issue.
    In Meath tax office, they are looking for Revenue details I believe.

• Advertisement

hawkelady wrote: »
    Yes, fairly sure the guards have bigger and better things to do ! Op , go into your local station and get the form signed. It won't be an issue

I was actually asking the OP would they have an issue doing it.
    I know lots of folk, myself included who wouldn't get a false declaration stamped.

I will soon have an equine premises number but I'm not sure that will be sufficient to get commercial tax. I've heard a Herd no. alone is no longer working. The farm needs to show it's an actual business. I wouldn't be operating as a business. The horses are only for sport.

Never heard of anyone having hassle using a heard number, in fact I've heard very few people having trouble who have no business at all and use commercials for private use only (and I know plenty doing this). I reckon the equine premises number will be plenty to get it taxed along with possibly needing the stamped decleration from the Guards (very easy to get). I think there is one or two tax offices that are a right pain but most will be fine.

Also op, get the seller to tax if for 12 months when buying it as that means you don't need to worry about it for a year either way.
    I was actually asking the OP would they have an issue doing it.
    I know lots of folk, myself included who wouldn't get a false declaration stamped.

And most people myself included wouldn't (and haven't in the past) think twice about it.

And most people myself included wouldn't think twice about it.

Yet you never have :D
    Talk is cheap.

Yet you never have :D
    Talk is cheap.

Edited my post to reflect that I have. Used to do 3 months on 3 months off all the time before they changed the system. I remember bringing in the forms for 2 or 3 cars in the household at a time on many occasions to be signed "off the road" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

I know someone with a riding school & livery business - they had to show invoices issued and received in addition to the equine premises number to show they were operating a business from the stables.

Unless you are buying/breeding and selling a significant number of horses or operating livery, its unlikely you'll get commercial insurance.

There are plenty of vehicle choices depending on whether you are towing a single pony or two 17.5 hands.

Edited my post to reflect that I have. Used to do 3 months on 3 months off all the time before they changed the system. I remember bringing in the forms for 2 or 3 cars in the household at a time on many occasions to be signed "off the road" :pac:

No doubt.
    I should have clarified my remark was just for the commercial use declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FUBO

tax it online and use the last 4 numbers on your VIN that's how i did it
    commercial tax / insurance

My father is retired and bought a little kangoo for tipping around in to odd jobs. He tried to tax it and couldn't. He had to sell it on.
    Similarly, my friend went to Oz for a year and signed his caddy off the road. When he returned and tried to tax it, same thing. Also had to sell it on and buy a car.
    I had commercial jeeps for the past 15 years and just got the guards to sign the form and I put my PPS no. where it asked for the VAT no. There was never any issue but in the last year or 18 months, the whole thing has tightened up and they look for much more information (In Co. Meath tax office anyway)

http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/MotorTax/MotorTaxforaLightGoodsVehicle/
    Note points 6 & 7

Surely if you are buying new taxing on the cc rate isn't prohibitive....... new D max is 1.9 or 2.0 and can tow 3.5 tonnes.
    €710/annum to tax.......... just over double the commercial €333 rate.

Yeah, that's exactly my thinking.
    The only issue there is will insurance companies insure a crewcab privately?
    But I can look into that further down the line

• Advertisement
Advertisement